-->

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Notes on busted (Nic) Bridges

 Draft (so far)


I sort of hate how the internet talks down to everyone, like maybe they didn't know until you told them, to press the red button (whatever).
It's a trivial thing to share the internet from a phone to a pc, and there are several ways.
I'm sick of wifi, plus I want to share my USB to (not from) the phone.
"Bridge connections" sounds promising, maybe.
But my router refuses to respond in bridge mode,
The phone refuses to see the PC's internet, and as I just discovered, IPV4 is down (it's probably one-too-many red-buttons pressed)
I can see that the more brainy readers might misconstrue "Bridge mode" and "Router."
Ah fucket, or spend many bombastic minutes explaining that...there is no "bridge," it's a virtual thing in my PC, but the router is not fooled nor amused and will not talk to it.
I suspect that I need all my MAC addresses to line up neatly, and I have not done that yet.
And the router has no USB-port, and I have an adapter anyway just for this purpose...
It's just,
I fool myself into thinking that I can do stuff, and I can't, and cannot figure out why.

Hooking a usb adapter to the router makes an instantaneous, automatic connection.

Hooking up with no bridge enables IPV4.

There are things they let you do easily, effortlessly, and other things are next to impossible, 

making me think they're doing it for security reasons, but they haven't said why, you have to guess, and the people who mess with this stuff already know how, so average users are penalized needlessly.

By accident or by design, they might be encouraging one method over another.




I wanna love my slightly retarded scale I bought at the store,
and it isn't too difficult, if it doesn't get any worse:
If you shake at all, quiver, tremble, the scale picks up on it and errors out.
No scale I've found works on rugs, so it's back to the machine shop to craft a platform
 (honestly, couldn't scale makers just include one?)
and in my case, brace myself carefully (or die.)
It's not analog, which would be more forgiving (weight, plus some blurry lines I will ignore)
But amazon hates analog scales, they hate ALL scales, but analog ones get a lot of shit.
They think it should only be made by NASA and cost nothing.
OTG, my store scale is comparable to the overprice on amazon, yay.
Plus if I sign up I could measure the electrical resistance over bluetooth, but my body wouldn't qualify.
No, analog would be best, but maybe I'll school myself in the fine art of temperamental digital thingies.

speaking of digital thingies:
The frosted half-globe that surrounds my LED lights is not good for the bulbs, and it's usually warm in here, thanks to a heater or the weather.
The official answer to "do dimmable dimmed LED-Bulbs last longer" is, "Not always"
but the theory is sound.
To compensate for my half-globe death-trap, I plan on buying a dimmer and setting it to nearly dim, hoping it will compensate.
Stay tuned.
People aren't satisfied with dimmers, saying they buzz or are the wrong type.
I don't know.
Some people get extra technical; they state some dimmers have the wrong waveform for an LED bulb.
I don't know, and I also don't know if the larger switch would even fit.
Fluorescent's buzz, no one cares.
I am thinking they're too picky.
Well I'll know in a couple days, and I'll know about the bulbs in a couple months.
*Apparently* you need to buy bulbs specially crafted for enclosed fixtures.
Hell, it's a biggie thing just to see "Dimmable" on the box, forget "Enclosed."
And why I don't just leave the half-globe off, is not up to me.
This next link
is so full of shit it's hard to explain why.
They are doubtless selling something.
Anyway, dumping their hyperbole, they make good generic sense (sort of)

The most bombastic site ever award goes to this guy, who writes essays on every single "yes/no" question about LED lights and dimmers.
Dimmers affect temperature, LED lights like that, but [history of world deleted]
if you were looking for ways to make LED lights last longer, 
they should be *cooler* not necessarily *dimmer*.
Dimming mostly does squat but under the right conditions, they'd be slightly cooler.
But a dinky fan might do better.

"Do NOT yada blah" o-shit,
Thinking of the Next poor schmuck with mixed bulbs
And spray-sanitizer. (and a ceiling fan)

This next bit is unreadable, so nevermind.
All wires being the same color, guess or use those magical probes that appear magically:


I don't think I hear buzzing.
My computer blows, the washing machines hum, and if there *is* any imaginary perhaps-buzzing, I can't really hear it, but I can imagine that it's there. 
Maybe.
OTOH who cares?
The very last thing, Dimmers are the nemesis of DSL, but no one uses DSL anymore (do they?) and they might have invented more modern dimmers since the 90's, early 2000's.
My room is now suitably dingy, and staring at the light isn't blinding anymore.
And if you want, the bulbs will rev to full-power before they dim-down,
 it's a product feature ("Dimmer here!!")

An article on old fashioned(?) dimmers is at 

No comments: