-->

Monday, December 14, 2020

Practicality II (the sequel)

AMD reportedly had new features added to a new BIOS I'm using.
To use those features if they even existed on my current setup,
Can you see this, do you know what it is? It's new but it's useless so far, windows "safe mode" runs in high-resolution (Higher than it did before)


"Above 4g" was the goal, but "CSM" had to be disabled to attain that goal.
Cinebench loves safemode now. 3DMark seems pissed. IDK why yet.

CSM required a different Disk-drive-format, or windows would not work correctly.
With me so far?
No?
Anyway,
So that teeny-tiny logo screen when I turn it on was a BIOS-thing from AMI, gotcha.
(why is the logo-screen so teeny-tiny?? Nevermind)


Game Performance halfed when using UEFI + Above 4G Decoding on MSI B450 Tomahawk with Vega 56 (#1039) · Issues · drm / amd · GitLab



I was *wondering* why 3DMark only managed to eke out 40FPS instead of the usual 70 (and faster) at the beginning of a benchmark.
The Clock speed measured fine, PCIE bus seemed fine, and the article I quoted was for Linux.
They blamed BIOS.
On a different site, Above 4G Decoding? | guru3D Forums if you kind of ignore the first couple of sagacious and (very confident) answers, They ultimately decided that "Above 4g" isn't a feature worth worrying about until Nvidia worries about it, and they're not, presently.
But they *could* be wrong (who knows.)
OK so knowing that, could a guy sort of slink back into ""Below 4g" or would Windows have a cow?

*BIOS* went into a minor tizzy, the boot drive disappeared(!) but powering down and restarting (not just rebooting) smoothed its furrowed brow, and I'm back talking to the air.
But did it help, or is it too late for me,
should I be writing,
"Save yourselves!"
I'll, uhm, edit this soon. For now, let's conclude that I have not hit on the magic setting to get 3dmark to excel.
 I used a program the other day to really kick the card in the butt and get it going good, but I can't remember the program, and I don't know if I need it, or if this system is doomed for now.

This next bit gets highly technical and throws esoteric words around like a pro, which I'm not,
but my working-theory for the next 30 seconds is,
My PC is not a notebook or a phone, and should not be treated as such.
I need to diddle with a couple settings in BIOS, and if they do anything, of course you'll be the first to know, but so far this is unproven folderol, life is meaningless, The End.
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=8684813

There goes the guy at 2nd gear, 8400 RPM's to scare the birds (or something.)
I feel like that guy.
"...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

but...
After that, something awoke, or some bug crawled away, and my PC is still performing the worst in months but it's better.
Why??
Guesses, only guesses.

It went down to 6000, back up to 11880, since that picture.
Why?
Shall I compare it to a moody spouse?
Of course I did stuff, useless stuff. 
If I had to totally guess, which is a very bad, expensive idea, 
some unit on the motherboard goes in and out of optimal-ness (optimality).
I (practically speaking) think I'd rather buy a new TV 
than some motherboard component that won't care about me 
and treat me in such an offhand, condescending manner.
OK, that was today's "Wake Up!" dream, but still.

You wanna talk practicality? 
Insulin Syringes usually cost 35.00, I got what seems like a month's supply free!
Bottles of insulin promise to get cheaper, maybe they will, but you can't beat free!
I don't trust them, they charged me for gauze, so, 
what bill is awaiting me for close to $100 in freebies?
But I was told they're "samples" so maybe I'm off the hook.
Christmas came early this year!
I think.

I hope.
Hospitals hand out stuff free that you could pay dozens of dollars for, 
thank god for drugs-salespeople and their little briefcases. 

I could launch into another rambling blog, with enormous casts of characters.
Sexy doctors and their faithful minions, who you can't piss off ever or be deprived of freebie stuff.
Maybe I will, soon.

No comments: