-->

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Practicality

 You probably read somewhere that Better VRAM access is here, if you'll only buy a AMD-6000-class videocard, a 5000-class CPU and a X570 motherboard.


so $1500.00 for a feature no one really knows about yet (I was just reading about it (on reddit) and I still don't really know what it is.

"A marketing term"

"free"? You're kidding, right? "Free." Bah.
(Humbug I say, Humbug!! ('tis the season for it)

I didn't really mean to milk the site dry but there it is, all that money/trouble for nothing (CSM is good, CSM works, Disable it at your peril)


But a much, Much more practical thing I learned about is how to stop my card from churning out enough useless pixels to literally kill itself.

Yes, the same guys who kill their tires sliding on roads brought you unnecessary graphics to burn up the highest cards in a pointless magnificent display, but you can turn it off, saving you money and your current card (Sometimes I think game writers are paid by video-card companies to stress video cards

and...unfortunately, the last cut-paste erased the whole point of this entry.


Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle quick cheats: Change the Eco Footprint (extratime.media)


Unfortunately the site that pops up has nothing to do with the sims, but I'm almost sure it works.

Eco_Footprint.Set_Eco_Footprint_State 1

But if you wanted a citation from a know-it all-site (Think John Turturro on "Monk")
It's what's on my mind right this second, following the entry I did on motherboards, part of another entry (or something) on Processors.
It is a tradition started long ago by Intel, AMD is just making it a little easier to swallow.
To USE the latest thingy-whatever, you NEED all the toys.
That used to mean a $200 CPU to go with a $150 motherboard,
probably still does in Intel's world, but you have to multiply a lot.
Actually what's more on my mind is a modder accused of copying another mod, and summarily banned.
Ah, what was the mod they copied?
Who says they copied it?
If Intel got pissed at AMD, AMD would have had much better treatment,
even though AMD is a Chinese company and at least *Parts* of their processor work identically.
  One clothes-washer is much like another, they look alike and work similarly.
Cars too, under the shiny shell.
Well anyway, 
Buying a processor or a motherboard (either one) would draw sympathetic smiles, and very little support, but they *have* given me that option, due to a BIOS update.


They've said, "Buy what you can, now, but don't expect any features".
Yeah, OK.
By the time I could afford  a set, they'd have moved on, and I'd be buying last-year's parts. (I'm BORED!! converting to GPT might mean ten minutes of flubbing, three days of regret, twenty additional minutes of reverting the flub and being back to where I was, but...it's tempting.
By the way, if you try to be all smart and create an image-backup (because a "partition backup" is beneath them) OR if you try to use a Linux backup program, ABANDON ALL HOPE!!
It's damn near impossible (many have done it I guess, I cannot) to have an existing system or at least backups to switch from BIOS to EFI,because, (because-what), stereotypical hackers?
Millllllions of innocent users suffer, kinda like I'm doing, what with the endless updates and license renewals.
I'll betcha I only succeed halfway, but I'm here (talking to myself). 
How pointless, how rude.
EFI works, kind of, now that I'm here, but memories past of never returning from (for example) a BIOS update or changing a disk-drive, haunt my memories like really bad cheese.
If it's so fucking easy why won't microsoft do it??

why the (excuse my french) FUCK would I need to "convert" an EMPTY disk?
This is insane (since I just converted the GD "System" disk, no problems (yet)

By the way, I'm grousing and whinging like a little kid, because My backup programs I paid for wouldn't work.
Well, there is one, a linux program, that would probably work if I figured out how.
Geez, what utter crap.
WHY do I need "UEFI" again? 
O, because you said so. Well, uh, erasing the entire freaking system has never been a problem, like dropping an egg off of a roof.
But THEN what?
But if you were following along, 
Thanks to the BIOS update, I'd theoretically choose a processor, assuming it was much faster than mine.
Because one at the same speed or lower, with more features, would be uselessly wasteful.
My dated CPU costs the same as when I bought it, Can I totally guess tons of DIY'ers out there settle for what I have now?
(or not, I was just wondering)
stereotypical DIYer

Not for nothing but If you were sure you were about to be deposed, couldn't you, wouldn't you, blame it on hackers from another country, as a last resort?
Google "Reichstag" etc

No comments: