-->

Thursday, February 18, 2021

TLDR

 


They passed, committees meet, they passed more, OO, look at the spaceship!!

Reporters gotta eat, politicians gotta speak, but face it, you're taking an awful long time to talk about stuff.

"The stock market went up! Down! It went '??' today"

We're pissed at China, we're gonna be for a while, And I don't see that as helping Nvidia, Apple nor AMD,  and I don't hear anything about Nvidia, Apple nor AMD moving to (Mexico, Canada, anywhere not China.)

Analysis: Carmakers wake up to new pecking order as chip crunch intensifies | Reuters

And that's my TLDR of the day, politicians talk tons but little gets done.

No vaccine deliveries? Take the train, fly south (think about it) then fly back north.

Too many links needed, too many pictures.

Glossy color pictures of hot stockbrokers and really (really) high-powered women who would be flabbergasted, aghast, (really pissed off) at anyone calling them hot.

I would not wanna piss off half the world so I won't paste pictures from Reuters.

---
(mumble mumble)
Carmakers make cars....
but AMD mostly makes chips...
chips made by machines...
I don't know, is there some trade-war brewing? 
I'm lost. . .
There was a lettuce/grape war back in the (google says it was the late sixties, I thought it was seventies)
and is this similar or way different?

(re-re edited)
ROTD's 
CABLE: HDMI, COAX
"Windows Update" cannot be running while typing, because when you press the "Return"-key,
the computer thinks you want to restart and it restarts...Bah!
OK Let's see if my cheeeeesy memory remembers.
Um,
"HDMI 2.1 (48G?)"
HDMI 2.1, I understand, kind of, it's what you'd look for when buying an HDMI cable right now, and be relatively assured it would work.
(see below)


Anyway, Coax, an extension cord onto the existing cable-feed.
The existing cable feed is as good or as bad/old as it is, you can't change it without worlds colliding, but the *extension* should be the best it can be, right? To not make the existing cable worse, right?
Skipping the "History of the world" folderol, 
my theoretical extension should be as short and as thick as possible, to satisfy my brain thinking it should not degrade the signal even more.
But my brain was wrong, and I found a site that avoids technicalities and explains it in a way even I understand. 
TLDR: An extension should be a minimum of two feet, and should not be too thick (so, don't buy "RG11")
Should you run RG11 cable straight to the receiver? - The Solid Signal Blog

RG6 reflections, a foot or so, RG11, 50 feet or so. Gotcha.
I need to buy a two-foot RG6-extension if I buy one at all. 
(My two-inch "Mr. Dinky" which bends into a beautiful "L" shape, seems to work right now, 
is cheap enough (free) so if/when it broke, no tears would be shed, 
and theoretical reflections be-damned (they only hurt people with really lousy cable in the first place)
I'll uh, keep repeating that to myself.
'Dinky' died after I wrote this. 



The DC-Blocker along with my cable adapter prolly emit enough reflections to light up a small planet anyway. I'm uh, hmm. *maybe* I'll think about it. (WHY do I need a "DC Blocker" again? I forgot, Lightning??)



The HDMI 48G-thing 

could be tacked on to an existing cable in an effort to sell more cables (or did you think factories worldwide would dutifully dump all their cables because of a new spec??)
I'm um,...TBA (HDMI 2.1: What you need to know - CNET) (vague as hell, is "2.1 = 48g?" What's with the "Ultra high speed" folderol?
This is like learning a language

in which they announce "2.1" and in a separate paragraph write "supporting the yada-whatever is the new hotness"

Which leaves it just open enough to interpretation by companies such as the overpriced "Monster Cable" people.

"2.1" wasn't sexy enough, but

48g, ultra-high-speed, "2.1" appear identical (read that with mucho salt)




---

Notes (Not for general consumption)
WHY aren't coax-cables made male-female?
(IOW, why should an adapter be needed??)
File this pic under "cute but wrong"

I did actually find one made by someplace way-far-away...but it'd be too enormously hard to get one, and I'm not exactly sure it would work. The little center conductor-hole had no guide, so you'd need razor-precision and nerves of steel (no shaky hands) and maybe a teeny-bit longer center conductor.
So *fine*, you'd need an adapter, I have one, I've had several, but they get eaten or thrown away as the years pass)

This next diy-looking manufactured product is as close to something you can readily buy as I've found.
Plus I'm too tired to go on, but if you just got here, this has the general idea, if not the polish and style of a professionally made product:







No comments: