-->

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Insomnia III: Bridges (a question)

 Sam is BB, BB is Sam.

Lou is Sam's name for his little baby.

I get that, it's repeated tons.

what I DON'T get is how Lou becomes "Louise."

I mean, Sam grows up, not as Lou OR Louise, 

buttt...

Wouldn't Lou have gender Identity issues being named Louise?

If he really is Lou, when does he become Sam?

If Baby Sam and Adult Sam are together, uhm...

I've got a headache.






Jeff Bezos looks like an arch Villain, unlike St. Steve of Apple.

 Well I came to praise his company, not diss him. But the News, under the headlines, under the fluff, under (It's buried, OK?) says Amazon is a tyrant overworking people and trying not to get them to join unions. It also says Biden's pissed at Amazon/Bezos. 
 'K, I just want my stuff. 
 "Prime" is pushing it, the way Youtube does, wanting 64.00 for commercial-free stuff... 
 He's gonna lose his company unless he learns marketing techniques from Apple, 
  Apple charges 79.00 for a less-than-thirty-dollar cable.
My stuff please, hold the "Prime" 
(But I'm only mumbling in the dark)
Today, the two cables arrived.
USB-C to USB-C.
One does not work, so far. But I gotta be sure before I smear their name in a blog.
It's a beautiful cable, 15 feet long, but it just sits there dead.
The (ahem) The 15 footer is a beautiful cable reminding me of a "Lanyard", whatever that is, because it looks a lot like a rope, a really refined one.
You have to plug it it HARD, or whatever, because it fits so snug.
No loose connectors here!!
And it works on a disk drive and my controller (which is what I bought it for).
My disk drive is slower than the cable (I'm rechecking that)...
Slower than the Cable (but I don't do math)
4 gigabits (I think) speed, faster than 480-somethings, slower than the cable.
I looked at my cheat-sheet in my last entry, my drive is 3.1-gen1, the cable is gen2.
But does 15-ft. length nullify that? Who cares! it Works! Yay!

The TLDR of this next bit is, the shorter and supposedly faster cable *also* works, 
But I feel sorry for my teeny 3.0-motherboard connector which shares its port with a whole family of products, like maybe a large family living in a tiny house:


And Now I am about to perform a backup (because, why not) and I'll try to keep track of the speed.
Remember that before this, the Drive had a miniscule two-inch cable attached.
...Someone (reddit or Quora) said that any device on the USB-thingy (hub?) would cause *all* devices to run as slow as the slowest.
Well, maybe he was right, but I'm afraid to start unplugging stuff, this backup means a lot to me.
But yeah, stewpid newbie mistake, to expect such a crowded USB-whatever to run faster than it has ever run.

People who get on a comment section of Best-Buy or Amazon have no idea how to test their copy-speed over a cable, but neither do I. Face it, you'd need a specialized test of some sort that I don't have...
The test would need to know you're using a cable, and also have uncompressed files to send over that cable.
Why am I bringing this up? 
Because the picture below is very deceptive.
(honest, I would tell you if it actually takes 13 hours to copy a directory.)


But I could've sworn I heard "Crystal Disk Mark!!" So I ran it.
This is a poor SSD that's never been optimized, that gets erased and overwritten a lot...
Yet some parts perform well, it seems (maybe)
Short cable, which at this incredibly slow speed should be as good as the Long cable
(I retested the "short" cable, results->




I can't really believe that the Longer cable is so much slower.. I tried it twice and the results were lots slower than the shorter cable.
I guess length really matters, except maybe charging or using a controller, so I'm still pretty happy:

1st try

2nd run

And the figures roughly correspond to a USB 2.0 "hi speed" cable.

BTW, Technology changes so fast, but don't believe *me*, ask Amazon for an external SSD.
Personally, I prefer Long-lasting over fast, But fast is MUCH sexier (*sigh*)



...




If you wanna really piss-off your bragging richer-than-god neighbor who hates amazon (only buys apple, hates Microsoft, but you know the type)
(scsi-purist, only buys from down the street, yada)
(bombastic SOB without a clue)
Read them this ad...
Exhibit 'A', your honors...Twice as expensive
Twice as slow

Be prepared to get a lecture on long-lasting vs speed, though....


No comments: