-->

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Bait

 Midnight Train: 

What attracts my Serengeti of little bugs to my sink nightly; 
how can I trap them to their deaths.


 Medusa (says the train) was badmouthed for centuries. 
Actually she was more like Rapunzel (note: who is "Circe?")


Traptress- theme:

Incredibly beautiful woman has family (of pets/whatever) to feed, stands out in front yard in scanty clothing, singing (or just looking hot,) attracting rescuers to their deaths (because they don't notice the narrow chasm, the bed of deadly thorns surrounding the bump they trip over, the burning coal aimed at their head)

But if they ever actually made it to Medusa, they'd notice (too late) it was all makeup and spanx, and die from her dagger.

Her dogs ate well (her family, kids, ugly husband, whatever)

so...

immortal bugs feeding on the fungus need to be irresistibly attracted.

An impossibility, that guy pushing rocks up a mountain would have better luck.

Somewhere in here (naw it's too-too long and tortuous a story) I need to add a narrative about Karen, the sixth-grade hottie, pure as the driven snow, standing at her front door, urged on by the evil Janet, who calls the wandering wayfarer from across the street (who is only there to sell their quota of chocolate.)

In other words, it's all a setup.

The wayfarer falls (but narrowly avoids death by embarrassment,) makes it to Karen, who smiles and shoots meaningful looks at the sadistic Janet who watches from afar.

The wayfarer remembers Karen vaguely, Janet fills in the rest, and the fall and the crack on the head erase any memories they might have had...she's a generic hottie. Who she was, why the wayfarer was supposed to know her, what he was supposed to say, is all lost to the sidewalk.

Killing a bug manually next to my PC caused the PC-Gods to really get pissed.

OK for one thing, my new drive has had "three unsafe shutdowns" instead of two.

This USELESS statistic is only there to accuse and denigrate. (The 970-Pro now has 524 (0x20C) unsafe shutdowns, but it soldiers on)

But somehow (I forget how)

It brings you inexorably into the nag-of--all-time, the "Windows event viewer"

Which is a subway ranter of errors.

It rants on, Microsoft ignores it, and implies, so should you.

But wait, Microsoft is the one feeding the event viewer rant-material (telling it what to say!!)

Microsoft, sadistic-janet, peas in a pod.


Cover your eyes (disable the log)
Disable the service
Ignore it completely.

Gnashed teeth await you next to the bump, which is next to the bottomless pit.
An average bum, a schmo,
doesn't want to worry about hard drives, doesn't want to be made fun of, so he reaches DEEP into his pockets for the most reliable (nvme) drive in the world.
(Being very bitter that they seem to fail every 18 months or so)

But the freebie-suckers, devils and temptresses, declare whatever freebie of the month to be best.
Best for who?
Abandon all belief, ye who read their stuff.

The cult of the hypnotized, (I can't think of sheep-adjectives right this second, I'm hungry)

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/ is a kind of a dated but extremely interesting report, IF you don't already know that a very few Borg-type conglomerates bought up everything everywhere since then, assimilated, merged and acquired,




If you're a vendor,
If you're a tiny vendor looking for a biggie break,
Prove (Through online bullshit, charts and graphs)
That it'll last 10 years,
Make out like Tesla, Burn your profits on the moon,
Run for President.
(buut Nooooo)



Oshit, that sucker is loong...I'll get back to you
I've edited out most of this, because prices change drastically, availability too.
I do not know anything anymore,
including if a so-called datacenter drive even works in a consumer's motherboard (we know it's very long, but is that it?)

983ZET if I win a prize,
983DCT if nothing comes out better by the time I need another SSD,
PM983 because, Hmm
(what's with "983" anyway? is it like "501 jeans"?)  (I'm too busy killing bugs to care very much)
The rocky cracked screwed up logic:
A fat man can buy high quality chairs to sit on for years, or LOTS of shitty chairs that (collectively) will last the same amount of time, with the biggie bonus that he can impress visitors with his large collection of chairs!!
I  choose the few quality chairs over the mass of crappy ones, but I'm outvoted, I think.
Tons of dusty tomes to read ("NVME 1.2b"???)
You cannot read that, you're not meant to, but if I decipher some of the words like someone reading a newspaper in Spanish using his year-one spanish knowledge,
 uh, 
 I *Think* it says what I predicted, 
the latest NVME setups will reserve a small amount of memory that never gets turned off. 
 See, it's a long boring story that windows sends data to a drive the way you'd mail a letter, 
but it takes a while for the drive to process that information and store it away.
 If there's a power loss, bad things happen, and they appear to be correcting that. 
 Maybe. 
 Yo no se.
In case it doesn't say that, and I'm not claiming it did,
uhm, Look up "nvme "PMR"
(It does not help that the people claiming to know this hardcore-trivia, talk like they're on a different planet) https://linustechtips.com/topic/1310873-will-i-notice-nvme-14-and-high-iops-of-new-ssd-drives/


This next part comes strictly from my gut, based upon dusty articles I read years ago:
The wear-leveling part of an SSD's cache-controller, might depend upon cache being *enabled*, no matter what dire predictions you read about power outages.
In other words, if what I think is true really is, then the drive lasts lots longer with its own internal cache controller enabled.
If not, (what do I know.)
A preachy quote follows, A pedantic-through-and-through guy loving to quote the history of the world and everything in it,
says
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/don-t-do-it-consumer-grade-solid-state-drives-ssd-in-storage/ba-p/425914
So, according to him, I should either be a server or a laptop.
A server because, 
being richer than God, 
I wouldn't even notice the extra-fancy gewgaws on a server SSD; 
or a laptop, because my battery is regularly charged
 (every few hours) and the SSD's are constantly fed power.
 If the above isn't true (it isn't)
I'm doing it wrong.
So:
Do I disable cache to prolong the SSD's life and have a little more insurance against corruption?
Do wear-leveling ("FTL") and Cache go together, does disabling one disable the other?
Cache (is supposed to) work bidirectionally. Constantly accessed data, constantly written data,
might be cached by a really smart controller, but I might be giving controllers too much credit.
These guys are opaque, by their verbiage, by their bombastic ways.

I'm thinking right this second of the poor pariah who went around asking experts about disabling write-cache (on the actual drive, which is possible, except they made fun)
I'm thinking of My Very very first SSD, an excellent thing that worked at the identical speed, 
whether or not windows-cache was enabled, but every drive after that worked lots slower.
(I've been afraid to benchmark my latest drive that way; Historically speaking my drives don't last half as long as the bombastic pundits' ones in most forums)
Windows-Write-Cache DISabled; fucket.
I still don't know about wear-leveling but Windows would have little or nothing to do with that.

Windows Cache Disabled (I can see why people'd wanna enable it...but...)
The 970-pro currently has a special nvme driver on my system, which it might not need, which might actually be slowing the drive.
Do I wanna wear down the middle-aged drive even more by switching to the standard NVME-driver and retesting?
Uh...
Edited-in note:
You-Too!!!! can have your dreams come true! If you only disable 8-dot-3 (AKA "8.3") filename creation.
Many pleasant yadas and Blahs!! (that don't mean jack)
Pie-in-sky salesman (maybe if you get off on creating One-Million files and cramming them into a directory....
Or is that, 100k 1-meg files.
but...
The files would be small and slow down your SSD anyway.
My test speed thingy ("crystal disk yada") doesn't show a whit of difference, but then it most probably does not create 1-MILLLion files either.

One day when you're old and gray,
This little tip will have saved you 1 million milliseconds (or so)


I'm pissed and bitter because they (the forum denizens) either have way more expensive stuff, or read marketing brochures and parrot what they read!!
I can't remember what happened to that very first drive, my memory isn't that good.
I seem to recall, generally, that "event viewer" records some cryptic errors, and sometimes the computer acts slowly.
They never die, they just
get
old.
"best to enable because yada"


Don'tcha hate it when your brain dies when smart people talk??
"SRAM," whut? FTL (o...k) HMB(?) oshiiiit
It's tied in with FTL (wear-leveling) I kinda knew that. But whut, how.."Buy Intel" seems to be their bottom line.
Fine but does "Optane" work like a normal drive or do you need a special optane thingy??
(^%$#@!)

..."and the horse you rode in on":
You are unworthy. UNWORTHY!!






I *like* Pictures!!! (dammit)
I'm smarter than I look. Cache Fights cavities!!!
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/computer-science/flash-translation-layer#:~:text=The%20flash%20translation%20layer%20(FTL,management%20%5B4%2C%2024%5D.

External, Internal, power is power (dammit)
But MY (ahem) feeling is that the drive's internal cache should be left alone.
There.
I said it. F&*^ (have a nice day!)
PS...
The proverbial "External drive" is beating the pants off of my NVMEs in some categories, but it's cheating because it is using Cache, and *I* only care once a month for a half hour, to do backups.
But does it get too hot??




Hull Temperature is reaching Critical


Remind me to start arranging it so a fan blows on it.

No comments: