-->

Friday, July 30, 2021

Dead horses

 My computer says that to log in, I must press "ctrl alt del" as if making *me* do that would maybe make the computer safer, less of a target.

If you want to believe whatever remote-desktop-software is the only one around, fine.

My point was/is, they are able to transmit "ctrl-alt-del" from somewhere else, so why  are they making *me* do it?

If it's so freaking well-known, why couldn't I customize it to ctrl-alt-tab-esc-esc (or whatever).

Year and years (and years) ago I was asked to enter a password into a biggie computer,

and while all the students watched, my entered password was "Tab-esc-esc" which the Operator warned me was not recoverable if I forgot it.

Everyone of those people knew the password anyway...but You come up with non-secure crap that never changes, people find workarounds they write on Google's front-search page, and still don't change it.

Maybe it's for cats, or me squishing bugs...not for hackers.
I looked this up but it didn't make much sense...Not in this context anyway (trying to be sure that anyone logging on is actually there physically)

This could go into a much larger argument, if I halfway knew what I was talking about, and I don't.
The people knowing this stuff talk in flowery technicalities...
*I* am inclined to rant on about stuff that doesn't exist, like ignition-keys for PC's.
No, I was only grousing about something that seemingly does nothing, and I haven't found the reason for it.

Good question follows, no decent answers (unless you're a history-buff)


https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/34972/whats-the-rationale-behind-ctrl-alt-del-for-login

More interesting (and slightly pointless) link:https://serverfault.com/questions/2912/how-does-ctrl-alt-del-to-log-in-make-windows-more-secure

If you can trust the OS's company not to spy on you, ctrl-alt-del is hooked to a program only the OS has access to (they say), so it's more difficult (they say) to run a program logging your password.
That *still* doesn't really answer the question of how it works remotely.
Lettuce hoap, the key I bought cannot be remotely accessed (unless the computer dumps it as invalid and asks instead for a trivial PIN, which makes the whole security thing pointless.)
Well, let's forget the whole keyboard thing for a second:
Your office-mate knows you have sexy pictures, his quarterly review, or a list of promotions,
and your computer is locked with a key.
He knows that after a couple failed key attempts, or maybe the key is gone (because you took it)
windows will allow (demand, actually) a PIN he can guess at or saw you enter.
I shall now demonstrate this glaring freaking flaw by removing my key and trying to log on.
I know my own PIN but what if someone shoulder-surfed it?
----
OK here I am, keyless. I know my own PIN but someone could guess it.
All my files, all my online stuff.
OK so it's clear, keys are pretty useless using this OS, but probably would work better if all this stuff were online or on a server, and I only had a bare-bones OS to play cards or use a calculator.
Keys shmeeze, it should have demanded my key or a really long number.
It should have followed its own rules and demanded a "windows hello" type of logon.
It didn't.
I'm bummed.
This only proves (wait, what does it prove?) uhm,....
O. 
A qualified administrator somewhere could demand more than a password or a pin, they could demand my key.
But this OS is a beta.
Yet Here I am, online, typing this stuff.
No key, no problem

Enter the pin instead
So keys are only for computers Online to verify you are who you say.
That's fine for a phone (I question why it needs an additional app, but NVM)
But what about a PC???
If someone steals my password, I could change it to "Fingerprint" but do they do that or am I living in the future?
Mobile and its apps, no problem, but banks don't care for PC's much


Your own PC's protection is meaningless.

Reading material I haven't quite gotten into yet:
Three years ago almost exactly, Microsoft wrote a bright cheery website about using fingerprints to log into websites, and either everyone everywhere ignored it, or I'm more under a rock than I previously thought.
Ok, long story short, I AM more of a rock-dweller than I thought, and you have to google it but my bank does allow keys. But while the key was asking for my thumb, something happened and I needed a PIN instead.
So I am not sure any of this was worth it.
Do you get the irony of it asking for a pin because it didn't recognize my thumb?
So that PIN should be an onerous one you'll almost certainly never remember, and need to write down,
so...life sucks and then you die.

Let's talk 9v batteries, OK? They are the avocados, the *pomegranates*, of batteries. There's no special reason WHY they are so high, but people will feed you the company-line.
They're not popular
They're hard to make
and then they sort of drift off into different types of battery technology, and you just want to slam something down to wake them up.
MARKETING!!
There's a two-pack of 9v energizers, the "special" kind, at the supermarket.
They're behind a case so I can't tell you why they're special.
All I know is, they're $18.00
and the cheaper two-pack is nearly $12.00.
Grocery stores probably aren't the place to buy batteries anyway, they're the liquor-store-priced retail. Let them sell you crackers or bread, instead.
Maybe Markets buy from Amazon and clean up.



I know what you're thinking, shipping. 
Amazon is the place to think about stuff you'll never need for a while, to be put into a drawer, for a year or so. Weird conservationist light-bulbs.
Batteries.
(I oughta make a list.) 
Anyway they usually offer slow-boat free shipping.


No comments: