-->

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Home-depot route came thru...🎵

 Faucet (and a better blog)

https://www.kingstonbrass.com/blog/pros-and-cons-of-bridge-kitchen-faucets/

Is it easily installable, repairable, within the realm of affordability?
These types of articles seem to imply that only the rich-famous use faucets, and the rest use garden hoses.
Style? Bah!

It's NOT easy to install, it IS missing critical parts Ordered separately. The article above talking about style is a little off, in my opinion.

(Speaking of "off")

"Kohler’s history spans about one and a half decades, and the brand is a household name across the globe when it comes to plumbing goods and bathroom fittings."

Early-Dinge, Richer-than-God "folksy" style
(The style is bridgier than mine but theirs has no sprayer.
(Note the soap dispensers!)

This picture is meaningless except it has the title of "Farmhouse"
I'd add question marks here ("????") but you probably would not understand


My faucet is too cheap to have three pipes holding it, and the Single pipe is mainly for a thick pretentious counter (and I have no counter, not for faucets, anyway) (you could probably pay an enormous amount for little posts...Posts they should have included as options, but nevermind)

and one day when the whole 900lb sink comes crashing to the floor, being mounted on rotting wood, uhm,

Well I guess I'll buy another one.
It works.
It looks nice.
It comes in pretty colors (for $100.00 more)

But it's like my old faucet before it died, but more "refined"

And it has a name that (according to google) means "Oh! Angel"

The problem (maybe) with the new faucet is, besides being slightly quirky to install, it must be hell on earth to repair.

And if you don't believe me, ask the repairmen obliterating my last faucet (with extreme prejudice.)

A similar (or the same) site disagrees...old guys with time on their hands. But "Hansgrohe" seems to come up favorably.
(And anyway, if faucets were indestructible, plumbers would turn into bored Maytag men (remember him?)


There are models of faucets that are easy to install, find parts for, (I'm looking at *you*, sprayer-hose) But mine is not one of those.
The simplest washer-failure will render it useless forever. If the hose breaks, it's dumpster time.

In short, it's extremely fragile, so handle with care (not like the 50-year-old faucet in the laundry)

https://legacyplumbing.net/blog/which-kitchen-faucet-should-i-buy/ is a stereotypically bombastic site written to get you to trust them and use their repair services. Anyway they said the same thing, in 5000 more words. 

*me*, I, myself, long for the durability of faucets you could attach garden-hoses to, without fear of breakage...a couple of washers and a screwdriver stuck in a drawer would be all you'd need to serve out your sentence in your hovel...wait...

Anyway, what I meant was, Let me spend the next thirty seconds seeking faucets that are actual faucets, not plastic imitations.

Fetishist fantasy
https://www.signaturehardware.com/edison-bridge-bathroom-faucet-with-lever-handles.html

I despair, abandon hope (fucket) But here's a tiny excerpt from Moses himself, Bob Vila (Your grandmother's father's laundry sink had no "stainless steel" but whatever)
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-kitchen-faucet/


I was curious why two handled faucets are considered quaint and for farmhouses.
What does a trendy faucet look like?
They look like gallows and need power to run.
"Ultramodern" must make more money than "Farmhouse/Traditional"
Hang 'em High







"16.0GPM" Typo or wet dream??
snip off garden-hose, attach, Voila, sprayer

Yew 2 can look like an eco-terrorist without really being one.



------------

I now have a frosted-plastic soap-bottle with a straw that I could use, 
Or maybe an incentive to buy *another* drill and a one-inch bit to install a hand-sanitizer on my desk.

(Or I could just put it in some closet)

For this much money, couldn't I buy a chrome counter-top soap-dispenser?
A guy wonders.





HAH! Plus, who the hell wants to bust their arm reaching under the sink, unscrewing the damn bottle, (o nevermind)
This isn't about soap.



My other problem is, the sink doesn't exactly have wide-open spaces for holes. Get it wrong and you'll have a nice round useless hole in the middle of nowhere that the fat-little bottle might refuse to connect to.
If I had OCD I'd be all grateful they didn't include another bottle for dishwashing-liquid, 
and maybe an extra sprayer (that's six holes, if you're counting)

No, this is a one-shot-deal, one hole, and if I get it wrong, (hmm)
Or I could just, you know, forget it.


When they drag you away to The Home, you could take this model with you:

The alternative route:
For some reason it's hard for me to hang on to power tools. People borrow them, never return.
OK I have a free ladder but I can't really use it.
It's also very very hard to find drills everyone likes.
"Died" "Smokes" "yada (shock/burn, stuck)"
Well fucket, 
Here.








I like this one (I don't know)


I'm gonna try out my Bombastic-reducer now:
Gears OK, here goes: if double and triple-gear reduction were really a thing, wouldn't different brands push it?
So Far, only Dewalt pushes it.
DW235G is double-gear-reduction;
DW245 is *Triple* gear reduction but either no one noticed, or they despaired at the complexity, I do not know. And I only just discovered, "Porter Cable" claims its PC700D has triple-gear reduction. The snooty sarcastic remark I wanna make about retired fat guys sitting around while the Real workers use cheaper tools to do actual work, shall remain hidden (here) and half finished. But now and for the next ten-seconds, I wanna take a very serious look at the porter-cable PC700d (Or whatever)

We can't talk to the designers, who made an excellent model of some brand, and shittier ones at lower cost. So I'm trusting reviewers.





Youtube amateurs get excellent replies, (responses like, "they did it wrong, but here's the secret," etc)
I'll just cheat and fill in the TLDR:
Fast speed will just piss off steel, get it hot, harden it.
s l o w is better. Round hole saws or step-bit, the difference is minimal to a pro but rank amateurs like step-bits better. (So I'm opting for a step bit)
Oil the crap out of it, treat the drill like one of those pulsating Cuisinart's, not a blender on "high."
I'm wondering about two factions of reviewer, the ones who say the ridgid "bogs" and the ones who break their wrist.
Plus one guy says the DeWalt (two of them) vibrated too much.
Treating whatever they say as gospel is a daunting task, but:
The DeWalt vibrates, the Ridgid Bogs. 
YMMV (apparently).
I only just discovered (ten seconds ago) that Dewalt's price is sliced in half by porter-cable's triple engranaje spanish-language version.


Snarky sentence here
(queque de queso):








I'm editing this down because the collected info looks a lot like a polluted river.

WHAT IS THE SIZE OF A STANDARD HOLE 
(to be read like "what is the secret of the Grail")
1 3/8 or 35mm
WHAT IS THE BEST BIT TO BUY
(unanswered) m35 Cobalt? See, cuz m42 cobalt is for weenies.
You could prolly use a fucking file if you're good at it...
(The actual link fills a small pamphlet but I'm shortening it.)


This could save Zilllllions!! Except the hose is kinda short.
Zillions! (short) 


ZIllions, I say!
Mine's better, only cost $200 more



No comments: