-->

Saturday, November 5, 2022

hdcp whut?

 Pardon if the next few blog entries are full of questions about the new videocard.
Because for example, HDCP and HD appear to work differently than NVidia.
But it's hard for this neophyte to explain...
3840x2160 is my "native resolution" and I had it set to 2560x1440.
NVidia didn't care, but AMD and/or Amazon disabled the HD.
It actually looked quite nice;
IDK. The higher resolution *enabled* HD again but I'd swear I see a random blurry-spot or two.
Do I really need "HD"??
If I am gonna get all critical about resolutions and blurry-spots, I suppose it's only fair to *download* (not "stream") the movie, but they want me to use a special amazon-app.
OK first, the app doesn't tell me "HD" or not. It doesn't say much of anything.
"Display port HDCP" there's a difference?
OK just tell me how to check already (on AMD)
enabled !=working



The smoothness of a film (not jerky, not slow in parts) appears to be *best* with my single movie, at 24FPS!! but....no, 60fps seems best (this will be confusing, I'll edit and I'll choose one soon)

No blurries, no slowdowns. Also, no screenshots (I wonder if they'd work if I disable hdcp???)

HDCP in action (nothingness, a black-hole)


But is it "HD"? I seriously do not know, I only know it's on my disk, not streaming from online.

That Black-picture ... I disabled HDCP and the screen where the film is goes black as soon as I try to get a screenshot.

IOW, the above picture with HDCP enabled is the same as *disabled*, but I will keep trying.




 But a typical movie (the only one I own) takes up tons of space:
 6 gigabytes. This could have been no problem if windows had *asked* me where to put amazon-prime-video (the app) or if amazon itself had asked me where to put the video-downloads, but it does not.

A software-program specifically for screenshots fails miserably.

No, you WON'T take the children!!


Anyway, Right this second I'm wondering what advantages prime-video has over the edge-browsing video player.

Wait, can edge play local copies of amazon videos? I don't think so.

Freek'n Odd that "Hardware acceleration" needs to be off!!


Those blurry-spots might (maybe, just might) have been my PC overcompensating for very dark spots in an otherwise fairly normal scene.

I'm tweaking my monitor, etc.

Throwing caution and decorum and societal normity into garbage,
I'm seriously considering "Bullet Train" in UHD!!!!!!!

WHY ?

I'm interested if my system would even consider running "UHD" (4k) video.

$20, we hardly knew ye.

Or I could freebie-watch something, and spend the next 50 blog-lines wondering if I'm *really* watching UHD or some downscaled version of it.

"HD 1080P" says the player.

Whadda....rip


There *is* no video (of this demo 4K movie).
Uh, .... (Whut?)

Download some HEVC-codecs from the Microsoft store (o....k)
and the video begins to work.
4K mutt? 1080/720P mutt?
Does anyone really give a damn?

Yay! (whut?)


What I learned today: "KMPlayer" is most excellent, but I don't think it would work on protected amazon videos, their player is all I've got, and Amazon doesn't think I'm worthy and downscales, meaning, 

a guy could pay tons for HD-4k only to find it's playing at 1080P

I'm noticing that media-player might be slightly washed out.

Amazon-player, slightly dim.
KMPlayer, Bright, has contrast, but I need to adjust the colors which are bordering on extremely vivid.








No comments: