-->

Friday, June 16, 2023

A bloggy note about windows

 "hosts" is a file you can use to block sites, but it is also a file hackers could use to mess up your system.

My carefully written hosts file was erased on all drives everywhere on the system, maybe defender was (whatever) messing with my files.

I won't know if one I downloaded again from some helpful(?) site will be erased again, for a few days.
*Anyway* this train of thought was started by T-Mobile's website waiting for Facebook, according to the status bar in Edge.
WHY was T-mobile trying to reach Facebook?
Whatever the reason, it's really creepy.

I never realized that blocking a website could be so complicated. 
Didn't they used to let you add sites to a restricted or trusted section?
And a firewall (*any* firewall) should allow you to block sites, not just useless lists they thought up (like apps, programs, etc)

This seems wrong, I'm wrong, this stuff used to exist and work.
IDK

I'm a little bitter that Unlike Microsoft's useless info, 
https://techviral.net/block-websites-using-firewall-windows-11/ 
is very informative.


I *guess* it's working, unless I mistyped.







No comments: