-->

Friday, September 29, 2023

Train

 In my point of the game a research company has invented a portal to a parallel universe.

The game's rules say that the temporarily connected universes do not affect each other, but the game's writers want to hang a guilt-trip on you (along with the mazes bugs and weird computers) so you'll feel guilty leaving one universe behind.

Total BS, the universes exist whether or not player is there to experience them.
No one winks out of existence at player's behest, the only question (maybe ) is, which universe Player ends up in.

(I think "Simpsons" did an episode like this, and maybe "Family Guy")

Writers must all read the same books.

Anyway there are many power-switches Player is supposed to toggle to turn off the connection between universes.
Until she turns off that last switch, she has her pick of two universes (I think) but remember the maze and the bugs. 
Was she supposed to (does the game want you to) turn off most of the switches in *each* universe, finally deciding at the end (at the final switch) which universe to stick around in?


In a movie, a horribly disfigured and comatose person can exist in a reality created especially for them by the AI in a computer, a-la "The Matrix" but by choice.
I think the movie was called "Vanilla Sky," but I'd need to look that up.
Anyway, I wonder if they've ever wanted to make a game from it.
PS: The Vanilla-sky movie didn't mention anything about stopping the aging process, especially for 150 years, although that might have been a line in the movie I glossed over.
Mel Gibson has a similar situation minus the dream, where his body catches up quickly to his real age (75?)
---
I still don't know what a "Gimbal" is, although those rings in starfield remind me of one.
Yeah but then you start talking "Orthogonal" and I lose interest fast.
Your sesquipedalian antics are not amusing
(or profitable, at least from all the pledge-drives wiki has

But "Perpendicular" being too hoi polloi, too great-unwashed, too democratic.

I dared to wonder what a "Dot product" was.
I thought, "(x1,y1)*(x2,y2)" but I was so very wrong:
Some guy made a video



Parallel, Perpendicular, opposite 1,0,-1, so the mounting pins of a gimbal should be (in a circle) 90-degrees from each other. Like, cross-shaped.
There's a f'n simple way to explain the obvious, and the clubby way.
(-b±√(b²-4ac))/(2a) is as far as I ever got, with p=ie and f=1/p as rumors I heard about later.

or, why I hate chemistry.
Stating facts that need sixteen other facts to comprehend.
*I* always thought, valence meant, how elements react to each other when placed closely together.
For example (the one in my head, not real life,) screws in a plane's fuselage must be made of a certain material neutral to the fuselage, or they will "rust".
Wait, I'll go look.
Whut? Fucket, nevermind.

OK let's get simple: an electrical outlet or Light-switch you buy at Ace Hardware, says on the switch that you should only use Cu (copper) wiring.
This (I thought) was an example of valence, or a similar term. The metals get all chummy, eventually fall in love, and melt.
What valence exactly *is* IDK. I might be describing a different word (the one for metals interbreeding with other metals)


SHT is shit, so sayeth article writers from 2017.
But they're getting lots better at rubberizing the hulls of submarines, to dampen pings.
Los Angeles Class Subs (from movies) were almost replaced by
Sea-Wolf Class,
But Sea-wolves are prohibitively expensive (but they're so cool.)
The cheaper/smaller 
Virginia Class 
was invented.
Old dudes long for Sea-wolves again, but the timetable is waaaay out there, and they prolly won't for a while.
They don't go into what happens to a fancy-ass digital periscope when the battery goes out (Or the reactor goes offline,) they only point to how much better a perfectly-working digital periscope is.
In fact, the periscope looks so weird they're disguising it to look like an ordinary periscope.
And before you go locking me away, the above was a rehash of Wikipedia (and appears dated.)
Since, uhm, the sub is better off without a real periscope, because no leaky parts,
well, a guy wonders if they use wireless to connect the lens to the sensors and the display, and if the wireless signal could be hacked into, but that's from my head, not wiki. 
External  torpedoes, same question, 
everything working correctly, they've got ways to strap torpedoes to the hull.
But if the radioman isn't "Crimson Tide"-material, a guy wonders.
This next bit is irrelevant unless you're looking for a job.
General-Dynamics and Huntington-Ingalls.

I get that two companies but I counted three locations in their winding sentence.
And they're only (I cut off the quote) talking about *nuclear* subs, not diesel (eg) nor natural-gas(?) powered.
Connecticut, Rhode-Island, Virginia. 
But I read it wrong, doubtlessly.
The probability of swinging a cat and hitting a government employee has to be "Virginia." The other shipyard I'm not sure about.



yeahbutt...OK Thanks, nevermind

A mezzanine can exist under a loft.
A loft exists under a roof.
An Atrium *could* exist under a mezzanine and the loft.
Many mezzanines could surround the atrium, with (e.g.) offices above and below the mezzanines.
(But where does the dais go?)

I really should end this endless non-answer of an entry, if for no other reason than it's too long, and there's prolly a book about stuff you wonder about but never bring up at parties.
Nice ending



No comments: