-->

Thursday, November 2, 2023

random the rant

Beans

Soak (or not)

 low (or high) for 4,6,8 hours.

Go away / watch pot

drain /don't drain.

But:

Be sure and use "kosher" salt and EVOO


Chicken broth, OK
"Bay leaf" pretentious thing that gets stuck in mouth or causes choking (!)

The fried hamburger is very expensive, also (I'm ranting, remember?)
*Cheese* is expensive, but maybe hamburger and cheese (as additions after cookery)

Beeecause....o nvm this is hopeless.
Being 4/6/8 hours, being that you're not supposed to open the lid,

HOW in the world would you know the beans are done?
Would you just cook them to death because, the longer the better, or would they turn into tar?

If I had one (I do) what's the temp probe for in cooking beans?

The example-recipe above is missing three cups of water.
'K, I have not found a good recipe yet,

Fartless, with a touch of flavor.


There's a magical theoretical crock-pot you can buy that won't burn your house down, when you leave for work and come home to a perfectly cooked meal.

That you won't get billed for when the police busted down your door and looked for you on the floor because your smoke alarm went off and an inquisitive neighbor called "911"

OK forget the fried yada-whatever, I gotta concentrate on blandito-beans.

Buy a can/bag instead, hmm

And EVOO cures cancer
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/14/health/ultraprocessed-food-disease-wellness/index.html a vague and very bombastic article

I wondered about ultraprocessed food with soy.
The soy society responded quickly:
In their fancy way they're saying soy Owns you, there is no hope.


An example of an ultraprocessed edible with soy.

Remember Connie and the Cannoli's? Altobello dying quickly after he ate them?
The above picture is *my* cannoli.

But you're missing the point (you always do!) I am so allergic to Svenhard's they'd kill me if I ate enough of them, the soy laden things.

















I've got this tiny tiny (tiny) amount of money, and my stomach is on a rampage because it's empty (or it's Tuesday)
So I wanna go buy something,
and do a Frankenstein-type experiment on beans.
I wanna know if beans are worth cooking past the point of (Images of the twilight-zone/outer limits are bombarding my brain)
Is it like, uhm, a rice cooker? They stop when the water drops to nothing.

By the way, what are the advantages of slow-cooking beans?
More specifically, do Beans on Low outclass Beans on High?



Ricky Ricardo wants to prove he can cook, so he sticks 5 lbs of rice in a stovepot.
But that's a way lot of rice, and the special effects department has a field day burying everything in rice.

So anyway I don't know how much two pounds of Beans are once they are cooked, will they fit in my cooker, am I looking at a horrible mess in a couple of hours?

I'm reading some lady who insists "high" but then she pries her lid open a crack to avoid splatter. It (her page) is like all others, history-of-world stuff interspersed with many advertisements.
But I'm reading her anyway; each site I read has a slightly different take on the subject.

My old meat thermometer is holding steady at 120F, and I think it's been around an hour on "low".
I'm mentioning it because that lady says that beans need to be brought to a boil.
I'm gonna ignore her boiling advice and listen to the others about 8 hours on low.

https://jenniferskitchen.com/2009/02/how-to-cook-beans-in-a-slow-cooker-crock-pot.html

So anyway, a long autumn-nap later, It appears to be perfect. 
And I forgot to check the final temp but remembered after I opened it and tasted a few.
190F

The very top layer of beans was very dark, But the beans just underneath were lighter, and I could see lots of moisture, so the beans didn't run out of liquid (It was extremely close)

In fact, having owned a rice cooker way in the past, I'd say it performed on par.
I still need to seriously stir them up to check for bottom-stickiness, but they look so perfect and non-squished, I thought I'd wait.


Assuming past bean binges are a good indicator, The explosive diarrhea should begin sometime tomorrow.
But wait.
I didn't add any oil, only chicken broth and a little water.
No weird spice, no ham (there's this really long list of stuff I shunned)
So maybe it will be better this time, or I'm being naive.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/28/fact-check-mountain-dew-free-bvo-but-isnt-flame-retardant/5235571002/

Waiting for the supermarket to open, it's very early and weird engine-sounds are emanating from the walls.
And a haunting melody by some women (or *one* woman, it turns out)
is in my head.
It's something I could write about, if I were a writer. But I'm not, so I'll leave the thought hanging (the haunting, 3AM thought)

Anyway...
https://www.quora.com/I-cooked-a-pot-roast-in-a-crock-pot-for-6-hours-and-it-s-still-tough-why-would-that-be#:~:text=Notv%20enough%20liquid%20or%20meat,also%20cause%20a%20tough%20roast.&text=The%20well%20marbled%20chuck%20roast,this%20early%20in%20the%20day. This page lists 10 different ways to cook roast, and they all hate Crock pots.
MY roast was the most expensive the supermarket had, 3.5 lbs of 
"Beef Sirloin Tip ..."round"
And so it isn't a flat thick-pancake-shape, more of a large organ shape.
One guy says to use little liquid, and another says (to the OP) that they didn't use enough liquid!!
One guy has a story about a guy with falling-apart roasts they were proud of, but the roasts were very dry.
OK *I* will eat whatever I cook (dammit) and post the results here.
I don't trust myself with the temp-probe....I mean, what if "145" is too cold?
What if it never cooks?
But time-based might also be bad, what if it's not long enough?
Ocrap...

Please note (with much derision) that the source is "quora" and not some chef's website.
Also please note the number of results (three millllllion)

Different temps on a different scale.
If I keep looking I'll prolly find even More temps.
No, I think I'll go with Time this time, and verify temps
with my meat (non connected) thermometer

This next thing *almost* makes sense, if you squint.

at 170 it's not done and needs another hour (whut?)
I'm, uh, (&^%$) I *guess* maybe I could cook probe-170, with a hold temp of 60 minutes.
Hmm?

If you totally cook with temp, does time get ignored?
What if it gets to 170 in (say) three hours?
Oshit..
eight hours later on low, it reached 200f, did all the nice things a roast is supposed to do (like flakiness), and it tastes.....like a roast *would* taste, nothing special, except compared to my other bland roasts, this one is lots more flavorful.
I find myself wanting more of that flavor, was it the brown sugar? Was it the vinegar?
Couldn't have been the chicken-broth, could it?
A tiny Piece (a forkful)



Some of the skimmed fat (@10 hours in Refrigerator)


Cooks get all insulted if you remark about the oily slick on the top of your soup or casserole, and I suppose I could find tons of sites saying that fat equals flavor.
My stomach hates fat, nuff said.
"fat is death," "Fat will make you sick,"
Is way not trendy.
Even if it's true
Read the picture
(TLDR) 
"Lard...support a healthy heart"


The one about Killing Lard is pro-Lard. 
OK My stomach is a curmudgeon Luddite, but I have to live with it, so shut up.

Someone actually did a nice page on Pot-roast fat, which is different from retail Lard (Which is pork fat)
If you're into the whole saturated/non-saturated fat thing (good for debates at parties) (I wouldn't know a fat from a triglyceride)




I've wandered into the propaganda zone, and now pot roast fat prolly cures cancer.
Did I mention My stomach doesn't like it?


Swathe the imaginary raw meat in EVOO, and spices, burn it thoroughly but only on the surfaces, *massage* in more spices (like brown sugar?)
*Bathe* the roasty thing in vinegar (some approved brand like
Snooty(tm) Balsamic.)
I'm not that far gone yet.
No.
I stab little holes into the soaked-in-apple-cider vinegar corpse, smother in salt and pepper (no evoo allowed) and fry it up in a pan, like a canned ham (for 5 minutes)
and....I'm not sure about the brown-sugar I sprinkle liberally. 
Is it going to help?
Much fancier (omg) recipe. Frank
Director (2014–present)Author has 4.6K answers and 3.4M answer views2y
I’m not a great fan of slow cookers generally, due to the lack of precise temperature control. Although it is possible to make a good stew in a slow cooker, you must be aware of some of the basic science that goes into making tough cuts of meat tender and juicy. Ignore the science, and you can easily end up with dry meat - even though it’s being cooked in liquid. Here’s why:
In order to tenderise tough meat, there are two factors that must be considered. The first is enzymes in the meat. When these enzymes are activated, they add flavour and start to break down the collagen in the meat - turning it into gelatine. Now you clearly don’t want to use dry or wet-aged beef in something like a stew (ageing is the process that gets the enzymes to do their work), but you can hyper-activate these enzymes during the cooking process. The second factor is temperature. Low and slow will break down the collagen through the slow transfer of heat. If you can combine both of these factors into the cooking process, you will end up with juicy and tender meat.
Now, here is the problem. If the temperature is too high, the gelatine in the meat will seep out into the surrounding liquid, leaving the meat dry and flavourless. Furthermore, the temperature will exceed the sweet point where the natural enzymes can get hyper-activated and do their job. Hyper-activating the enzymes will cause the gelatine to bind to the water within the meat, rather than send it out into the big wide world of the stewing liquid. So, how do you achieve this science?
It all starts with the size of the chunks of meat. Most recipes will call for 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes of beef. This is quite small and will accelerate the seepage of moisture and gelatine from the meat during cooking. So, use 2 inch (5 cm) cubes instead. Even better, buy the meat as one big chunk and cook it whole - you can cube it up before serving as will be explained later.
Start by browning the meat over a high heat in small batches so that you don’t lose too much liquid and start the stewing process too early. If you overcrowd a pad you will see loads of water leaching from the meat and it ends up stewing in its own juices - not what you want.
Once the meat is browned, add a mirepoix to the pan - a simple mix of carrots, onions and celery, add a little oil to the pan if necessary, and cook over a moderate heat for about 30 minutes in total. The idea is to extract the sugars and flavours from the mirepoix. Sprinkle a little salt and sugar to help accelerate the process.
When the mirepoix is softened and tender, place your meat on the top of the vegetables - don’t mix everything up. You now add your cooking liquid to the pot (stock, wine, water or a combination) Now, here is the important bit. The cooking liquid you add to the pot must be COLD, or room temperature. The liquid needs to cover the meat completely.
Now cover the pot with a loose fitting lid (you need a little of the moisture to escape during cooking). If you are using a slow cooker, you would set it to its lowest heat setting and leave it for at least 2 hours. I find I get much better results by placing a normal stew pot in a COLD oven which is then set at 200F (93C). This allows the oven temperature to creep up slowly and starts that hyper-activation of the enzymes in the meat. Essentially, the internal meat temperature will rise to that sweet point of 120 - 130 F (48 - 54 C). The longer you can hold that temperature, the more the enzymes will react with the meat to start untangling the collagen. Its quite important to check the internal temperature of the meat to make sure its reached about 150F (65 C) after a couple of hours. Once that temperature is reached, you can increase your oven temperature - about 250 F (120C), or switch to the higher temperature in your slow cooker. You should then check every hour to see where the temperature of the meat is going. Ideally, you’ll be looking for an internal temperature of about 200F (93 C). You will also need to check that the meat is tender with a wooden skewer.
Next comes the other important point, Remove from the heat and leave the stew to cool completely. This can take several hours, but it is an important step. It’s probably best to do all of the above the day before you intend to serve the stew. Once its cooled down you can store in the refrigerator until needed.
The next day, you want to remove the meat from the pot and strain the mirepoix from the cooking juice. You may have to warm up the pot if the cooking juices have started to jellify. Discard the mirepoix as there is no nutrients or flavour left in them. This is the time you add your chosen stew vegetables to the pot and start cooking them over a moderate heat with a little oil. Again, you can cook for about 20-30 mins without giving them too much colour. Then add back the stewing liquid and continue cooking the vegetable until they are tender. Finally, add back the meat and gently heat to warm the meat through. If you used a big chunk of steak, you would cut it into cubes before adding it back.
So, the solution is all in the science. Understand the science and you should never have dry stew meat again.


Does the store sell Karo Molasses (and I just don't know where to look?) "Karo corn Syrup," google says. Nevermind, I don't use it.
OK the sweetened body part is dumped into a denaturing bath (more like a puddle) of Vinegar (you remember the vinegar, right? It's what's mostly down the drain)
Add (OK I get stuck here) Chicken stock? Chicken Broth? Salted? Unsalted??
Yellow cloudy water.
Add self righteous potatoes (any vegetable that attends the meat-body to its slow-cooking tomb)
I'm missing anything about binding the meat with string, it either isn't done on a wet roast or I'm reading the wrong books.
Braised denatured soaked meat. (BDSM)

Make supple these limbs






No comments: