-->

Saturday, November 11, 2023

base vs native ISO (and other imponderables)

 The subject being so complicated and delicate, I forego an intro and conclusion (thank you, sentence AI completer.)

https://petapixel.com/2023/11/08/why-the-global-shutter-in-the-sony-a9-iii-is-such-a-big-deal/

The pissant little phone camera might be bad at sporting events, but taking pictures of Pot roast, it's fantastic (The pot roast doesn't move, or it shouldn't)

Wait, to complete this damn entry, I need to include a video (a really cool video)


So, anyway, with no knowledge of ISO and shutter speeds, and the Speed of your progressively-scanned camera-sensor, you're stuck with posed family portraits....That isn't so bad and saves tons.
The marketing blurbs on phone cameras usually only talk about how many pixels the picture has.

Ya know, *I* would not mind phone-camera-lenses with *less* pixels, ones that took smaller but faster pictures. (My theory being that it takes less time to scan a smaller area)

I just assumed I never used the fancier features my phone's camera has, but I was surprised just now to find that they do not exist, in my current camera app.

Everything is done by the phone automatically, and I would not know an ISO from an aperture. I *swear* I had a much older phone that did all that. (o well.)



No one has mentioned aperture, no one has gotten into what a "Focal plane" is, though someone somewhere blurted it out.

The very old movie with James Garner, Donald Pleasence and a security guard mentions "focal plane shutter," but I'm not sure.

Now add ISO and shutter speed and
You have many quaint and curious lores you can expound upon at parties
QCL:


The whole base/native thing is easy (sort of) at least in a person's head, 

but Dynamic range is not. (wtf?)

You compromise an exposure for details that do not wash out nor do they get hidden. The overexposed windows vs the nearly dark faded woman sitting at the (Is that a piano?)

And (uh), using digital enhancers later on kind of defeats the purpose of the expensive camera's native ISO (which you have at the "base" setting.)

(I think.)

Low dynamic-range posed photos can be extremely striking, as is a photo from yesterday's news.

(link)

If you spent months and several thousand learning photography, then I suppose if something happened close by that gave you 7 or so seconds to capture it, you wouldn't care about the settings bee cause, you'd already have them set to "Perfect", unless you were photographing butterflies (or pot roasts) recently.
But if you're like me, the resulting photo would be a motion-blur of some thing, and if you were very lucky, it would look all arty, but when have I ever been lucky? It would look like a typical picture of the Loch Ness Monster.

No one would appreciate your light-meter as they posed stiffly.



I guess the subject is fascinating, to some, the ones who buy fidget gadgets the guy was talking about in the video, but everyone else prefers the AI in a box.


I went ahead and downloaded an open source camera for android.
"Open Camera," my phone says it's called.
Is it nice?
It shows the AI-ISO, that's real nice (I guess)
Plus it lets me take decent small pictures (640*360) also nice.

I don't understand the whole mondo-humongous pictures most cameras take; It's a mystery what you'd do with them. (And yes, it saves to "SD")
Can't disable "Camera" nor uninstall it, but this new app will get used lots more than "Camera," I'll try to click the original "camera" over to the spies-in-the-closet section.

The next thing I should maybe wonder about is the storage space that photos take up.
"Webp" and (uhm) "HEIC" (or whatever) put my poor overweight PNG's to shame, but PNG is way more accepted and popular (so PNG tosses her hair back and moves on, determined to ignore her detractors until they stop being such snobs)

Hi. I'm a HEIC if you can see me, hmm
The above picture was uploaded HEIC (I swear) but shows now as "JPG"
Sounds like photography experts had onna dos clubby acronym parties again.

double-checking...


will NOT be dragged over, I must upload it formally.
OK *fine*, hang on...

no, the editor (*someone*) changes it into "JPG" (a reeeally *tiny* jpg?)
Same story for TIF files, they get changed into JPG.









So yeah, photography is rife with clubby upper-crustiness.
Fuck'em (RAW etc)





section 702 of the FISA act (ISP's can listen in on international calls) is summarized, and then on the bottom it says
"read more" and lists several biggie agencies to learn from
I don't know if it's funny or frightening.

No comments: