-->

Sunday, December 10, 2023

apocalypse (cute title)

 My cable internet is dead for the first time in eons, and I'm going back to USB tethering,
which is fine for checking emails and the news, but what if I wanna watch movies?
The question I asked to a bot on Google said, 1gb-hour to 3GB-hour, 
so 2-6 gigs for every movie.

What about steam, and games that insist upon phoning home?
I reeeaaally wouldn't know, so uhm, I'm paying $15 extra (actually, $30)
for a phone plan with 40GB of data.

(I *think* that's what it said)
When I used to care but before I streamed movies, I used 15 to 20 gigs of Data a month.
The extra 20 I'll get is divided by (let's say) "5" so that is only *four* movies (omg)

Now I *know* you all hashed this out years ago, "Internet neutrality" and etc, so (maybe) phone-internet can't favor certain companies' movie streaming. 

(Or can they?) 
I signed up directly to disney, bypassing the phone (if they even have disney as a choice)

A reminder to myself, cancel Disney soon.

This whole scheme only works if I could successfully suspend cable-internet, and does chatting to a rep/rep-bot on a screen count?
I hope so.

AND if my phone doesn't punish me with a huge fee for switching plans from 5gb to 40gb, $15+$15+$fee,+$taxes

(I hope I can *eat* next year)

Apocalyptic Things to think about:
Remember my new dental rider is $50
And...the water heater (the behemoth) is not mine but it's making very LOUD noises once in a while. Pipe-breaking noises though a thick wall.
BAM! (little bam)
I was thinking, ya know, of the people with their 20-year old washers and stuff, maybe raising the rent. 
I can jiggle a couple figures here and there but nothing on the apocalyptic scale my budget would endure if my luck goes bad.

First sign of bad luck: The cable internet works again. 
(As if they wanna really stick it to my already rocky luck)

Binge watch from now til midnight.

the cable speed is gawdawful, prehistoric.
Maybe (naw) phone settings don't suit it.(Metered, etc)
Or (it turns out) I needed to "jiggle" my ethernet line.

Tom Huiddleston "Hiddleston" (I'm gonna check spelling now, BRB) makes a good evil guy but he's worse than Al Pacino at making speeches (it must be in his contract.)
I get distracted, wonder about my food or my blood sugar, and wander off (or skip ahead.)
But his movies (the resolution) is just fine, I don't know what the biggie beef is for HD and UHD.
I set it as low as possible, and was pleasantly surprised the pretentious black bars disappeared.
My Phone internet used to be faster, I swear, I just, um, don't care (much.)
It was 100mbps until I switched on (enabled) 5G and now it's just under/over 200.
Wasn't it faster before?
The movie doesn't care.
Still (sigh) it's either listen to another speech or wander off looking for why he seems to be a popular character, and whether anyone anywhere at any time compared him to Trump.



I used 2.5 gigabytes today, and I'm thinking maybe I have to economize, because I'm using too much.


No comments: