-->

Monday, June 17, 2024

Unicorns (uh) "Excalibur"

 






For really years I spend 10 minutes a month wondering why the hell people assume I either have "Winget" or can install it easily.

For a month (or so) people brag that windows now has WiFi 7.

signs...portents....I must try again!!

(But ranty-ranty between you and me, a clever turd figured out how to hijack the winget system and they locked it down. https://github.com/microsoft/winget-cli/issues/3024 
None of this is actually true, maybe it's available to you,
But I'm going through logic mazes: get app installer, which installs winget (no it doesn't)
get winget from Github (where?)
Powershell is tons easier to install, you just...unzip it and run the damn thing. This is there (I am sure)
but there's lots of mist and folderol in the way.
https://github.com/microsoft/winget-pkgs

Mouse follows cheese through maze....

Horse doodoo pucky shit






Fresh from Github.
It's Blocked (right?) But how do U Unblock it?
Or is this another episode of
"Mother, I choose the Danger"?







This site has scripts, and you should never run scripts from sites you don't really know,
But since it didn't work anyway, (Something about the versions being too old), I'm now a zombie slave or my vaccination did nothing.
Powershell is now 7.5++ and cannot be downloaded by me (personally) but "winget" the unicorn, the magical sword of Legend, could check to see if I had the latest released version.
Or (possibly) if there's a wifi7 package to download.
But since it doesn't exist for me (personally) this is the stuff of Legend.
Microsoft Learn


For reasons unknown to me, my "Beta" version of windows has similarly named directories, but I would not know which one to pick.




None of these match "Windows package manager" 
except maybe "Dead by Daylight"


They will not confirm nor deny "Winget"
Because I don't know where it is.
Yeah, that's sort of what "help" was for, but nevermind.
I swear I'm not Congress! Just show me a decent link already.

Fifty-THOUSAND words on the wrong subject.
This is getting tedious.
What would Captain Kirk do?

Whut? Why?
Every schlomo schleps this around except Me???
This is (uh) ??
(Link that actually works, OTG (%$#@#$$%^!!!!)





Rehash: "WINGET" works now, thanks to some obscure setting unknown to Microsoft's helpers.
uh, "POWERSHELL" was updated using WINGET but since I prefer zipped, it's moot (I mean, I proved winget actually works, but I forgot why I needed it)



This next bit is straight from the Twilight zone:
In past episodes of my wi-fi saga, you will recall that I tore this thing apart to replace my wifi card that had a mysterious heart attack, with a AX-200 from an older motherboard.
I was sure I had installed it wrong. I pronounced it dead.
TODAY,
 I feel a little lousy and I just wrote the above, so I am wasting time hoping I'll feel better. Device-manager, any updates for the PCIE-card I bought?
Whoa, the AX200 Lives!! Are we talking sentience or is it in a coma??
I don't know.
I DO know device manager sees and correctly identifies it.

It....doesn't mean much (yet), it's strictly a morale thing.
If it actually works, that's icing on the cake.
The reference to "Twilight Zone" is a little vague, like the episode.
A guy is pronounced dead, comes back to life, 
and everyone thinks he's a "haint."

My "Haint"-card has no antennas (why would it) but it's listed in Networks, and when I turn it on, it lists a couple neighbors close by.
But,
Unfortunately,
As I wrote those previous lines, 
Windows was updating itself to "release Preview" and when it did, the network card mysteriously died again.

Release-Preview did NOT release wi-fi 7 on this system, it's prolly another arcane esoteric deeply buried section. Remember when I said I like to just unzip Powershell myself?
Um, yeah, it found my little installation and annihilated it.
So basically it's like having an overweight bossy sheriff living in your house.
And, Bluetooth channels reversed? Or have I been wearing my uncomfortable ninety-nine-cent-style bluetooth headphones wrong all this time. 
If someone who matters notices it, I've been vindicated. Otherwise forget I said anything.
I'm disallowed 6ghz hotspots.
5GHz hotspots are OK.
IBSS (anarchical)
Promiscuousness (nonono)
6ghz must be Baptist fer sure

Without too much pointless cussing at this juncture, I'd seriously like to know wtf in hell "6GHz" is good for.
Are they reserving it, calling it "Elysium," for the upper-crust in the hills?
They'd rather we fought tooth and nail for the scraps at 2.4GHz.

♪"In the Ghetto"♪

Until the Grand dispensation (some future date) 
When iApple comes to save us from our sins, riding in on a cloud









Deus ex apple, but this'll do







The Pat-answer-people, at least one of them, claims that you need to enable cellular internet first, then the phone will verify (using cellular internet) where you are and grant 6ghz permission.
That doesn't really explain why my wifi-7 NIC card won't do 6ghz, but I am guessing it has to do with the rule about no wi-fi 6ghz hotspots.
Read some google links (I took a sample below) and you might find it still prefers 5GHz, ignores (cannot see) 6GHz.
https://www.reddit.com/r/android_beta/comments/15a695z/wifi_6_ghz/
Google is remarkably quiet on the subject,  leaving the lapdog fans to parrot stuff.
But as they are eager to point out, they don't work there, so...

Pixel 7 (must be) OBSOLETE and UNWORTHY

The TCB's they speak of eliminate (maybe, I'm guessing) the need for a DFS authority who can send signals directly to the router killing any aberrant signals in forbidden areas.
"Fine," I think, but since no one here DARES to use potentially forbidden DFS signals anyway, like they were in some horribly bad neighborhood, I wonder.
But I'm full of it on two points: One, that Frequency-sharing is less than optimal (it doesn't seem to matter to the hundreds of routers around here)
Two, that Using DFS (OK I'm still working on Two)???



Paying some butt for TCB certification rubberstamping must get expensive (I'm thinking)



Without Apple and the apparently non-functional pixels, the only one left is Samsung... (The implication being that small companies are locked out of this whole process, at least for now.)  Or live a life of quiet piety on 5ghz, hmm

Now that the AX200 (802.11AX@160MHZ-wide) works, and I know 6ghz is mostly a sham, 
There isn't a whole lot more to say.
(Read the picture, Lotsa disillusioned people)
Squeezing in a link here too, a google-result of "6ghz" and "Sham"


And anyway, "Don't tread on me" types have plans to take over the wi-fi world with gigantic 6ghz radar towers, mostly just to piss you off.
Someone will have a record for transmitting from SC to Virginia on 6GHz and a cheap router......
"How can we sell them"
"How can we sell them"
the vendors chant.
6e/7 6GHz


Or is it like I ranted 4 blog-entries ago, 
Once they have enough monitoring equipment, Things'll loosen up a little.

The selling point (I'm editing this bombastic tidbitty thing in) of WiFi 7 is not 
Frequency but speed (ignoring caps).
And on 6e, that it is cheaper than 7.
That someday, a messiah of a firmware update will arrive to bless worthy Chosen Routers and dongles to allow 6GHz, in heaven (somewhere)

One cannot gaze too long at (o nvm)









No comments: