-->

Sunday, July 28, 2024

filters and stuff

 WAY way too broad a subject for typing slowly. So this will look incomplete, fragmented, pointless.

The filter wears protection (not shown) and is virginal
cream-colored where it counts on the inside.
The outside is a nice, neat dust-free brown.
It could have gone on longer but the sheath covering it was disgusting.



1. A commercial for an air filter shows the gross crap it picks up.
Fine, whatever, but all filters pick up stuff.
It's when you clean the thing that you run into trouble.

1(a) Honeywell, the company making my fan, ditched the Huge filter idea and decided to make smaller filters stacked one on top of the other.
This is wrapped in a single charcoal filter.
So regretfully, I won't be buying from Honeywell soon. They charge way too much for the fan, (it's only a fan, for gosh sake) 
and there are third party vendors for the Biggie (humongous) single filter.
This makes them cheaper than Honeywell by a lot.
But are they "HEPA"?
Let's never speak of them again, you might as well be pushing EVOO or sea salt.

The curse of filters is, eventually (I don't know when,) I'll buy an expensive filter and the Fan will die.
Will I replace the fan to accommodate the expensive filters, which is way too much money, or will I start being interested in the TV commercial?
Odd, air filters are like fads that come and go.
They added a filter onto the AC-system, big and ugly and custom made, in the hospital, for each room. 
So germs live there happily, concentrated from the last disease-ridden patient....
Me and my fan, we're happy and not sick, until maybe I clean the thing (has it been two years already?
Amazon doesn't lie)

Big ticket items end up as entries in this blog. 
But I had the filter way way before filters became stylish, around 2006 or so.
It's only recently I resurrected it from my unused crap and started using it, and even more recently (two years) I started worrying about the filters.
The fan is due to die soon. Do I replace the filters or go for whatever the commercial is pushing?
Hmm.

I don't know the model on TV they were pushing.
The actor had to be paid, the special-effects department had to fill the filter full of lint, and every time they show the commercial, they pay a hefty fee,
so this generic version is prolly comparable, 10-times more than I'd really want to spend:

https://www.achooallergy.com/blog/learning/the-great-air-cleaner-scam/
(TLDR: Don't buy Ozone air cleaners (IDK)




No comments: