-->

Thursday, December 31, 2020

100 minutes

 You might never see this, it does not enlighten or enrich, in fact it's a total waste of time.

In fact, someone mentioned an SATA controller card I should buy instead.

The amount they range from looks like a tall cliff overlooking a gigantic chasm ($14 to $150)

And they mention words like "Bifurcation".

Uhhh.



I'll get back to this.

(Maybe if I were retired and living on a pension, in my 1940's house in the sticks, I might attempt this, armed with a soldering iron and years of electronic experience, or just people who actually commented instead of talking loudly through the walls.)





Meantime,


OK I'm learning that I need USB-Fast and sometimes (especially on my current PC) the fastest USB is USB-C.

But one has little to do with the other.

I hope you can see that "Back panel" picture of my next motherboard.

The USB colors seem wrong, and there is only one single USB-C connector.

Plus that USB-C connector, being so small, is really impossible to reach. A front-panel USB-C connector is in order, and I *will* get one, soon.

Why cheap-out now?

Consider that another brand makes m.2's very hard to remove.

*This* motherboard sticks them on a card which snaps into the motherboard!! Most excellent.

And if that add-on card can be handed down from motherboard to newer-motherboard, even more excellent.

I hope I did not misspeak, USB C and USB 3.1/3.2 are like going to the same high school but that's it (right?)


You have to hand it to reviewers who get their stuff free, complaining how expensive my hoped for board is.

They seem to want to find a reason to plug Asus-whatever.

But I learned something tonight, only I gotta go grab a picture so as not to misquote.

The models he keeps referring to are totally missing.

Something Asus-Yada-Whatever "Formula" would have been nice.

Hooking up a formula with no water pumps (unless it already includes one) would be nice too.

Let me restate: If you have a bulky heatsink with no water inside, it might be worse than an air-cool designed one, but how would anyone know? They're not compared that way.

The "Formula"s back panel

You might wonder (I did) why the hell motherboards mix up USB ports and why they don't just use the fastest-whatevers of their time.

I don't know, why bother speculating. Maybe to save a few cents per motherboard.

But if you're a careful reader, the two motherboards I was considering are the formula and the godlike.

I'd hate titters, guffaws and peals of derisive laughter, so I'm on the fence about "Godlike".

I LOVE the way they give you extra cards for stuff,... Bah, I don't know right this second.

I think "Formula" is nearly as expensive as the one I want (godlike) and I'd be inviting pedants with water-cooled systems to lecture me about what I'm missing.


I've made my decision because the equivalent motherboards have water-cooling heatsinks, and I'm just not interested in that. Well I've based my decision on a lot of things, but anyway.

147 vs 148 fucket, that's good enough for me, b'bye asus




I wonder which would be affordable when " The Second Coming " decides to get here.

Godlike is pretty-near $100 more. Has the market decided, or is it all marketing-smoke-and-mirrors?
For $100 less, but then for $200 less and even $300 less, I could...
----------
Hole-in-the-wall stores very very far away charge less (not counting Ebay)

Paranoia creeps by, 
what if kiddies-reviewer-wannabes and cultists belonging to the church-of ASUS
Order one for a day, poo-poo it and send it back?
But I *Think* I've picked an unnamed store and I don't return stuff, I'd rather bury it.
  So yeah.
This should feel better than it does. 
Hmm
I would hate reading this and the author refused to make a choice.
And I am no commercial!!
Godlike, FTW, and hope the name is hidden or only on the box.
From the Poconos. 
On a Tuesday. 
I have a nagging question but I'll save it for the review when I finally get the board:
Does the add-on card support SATA-m.2 cards? 
but for an intel board, And since I barely (almost rarely) use my CD-ROM drive, um, hmm. If I can run the Samsung at its full-speed glory and let the SATA-m.2 run happily as well, AND run a cd-rom drive on whatever is left, it's definitely an improvement over now, today (Samsung is currently banished to the half-speed slot to allow the SATA m.2 to run)


That being the only improvement would still be significant.
But one hopes there are more features to greedily rub hands together about.


What if a person uses both add-on cards, the network "10g super Lan" and the m.2-one, would one of the cards be running half-speed? *why* have a network add-on card? (OK *That*question was superfluous, like the card, nevermind)
It isn't clear which thingies they bargained down to 2nd-grade status to let everything run,
Musical slot game (on "Z390")

z390 and different m.2
(Can I totally and completely guess that the card needs a driver?)

This Motherboard-and-minions do not look like the type of boards you set and forget, some heavy duty tweaking might be needed.
(O gawd)
O waitasec "Raid 0" never mind (geez)

E2 is blocked, E4 can only work on the M.2 card (only E3 is for the network card.)      (ahem)
I gotta find the specs on this card. Does it accept SATA m.2, does it accept
BOTH sata m.2 and nvme??
I know "E3" now, I Don't know if the card will freak with two different types of m.2 
(Yes I'm repetitive dammit, but hopefully clearer)


It might be better to use the card (rather than closeting it) for the Samsung, and let my Crucial usurp a Motherboard-slot.





You could totally dump the cards and banish them to drawers in a closet, but then more existential questions arise.
If you use cards instead of the motherboard (in slots 3 and 4) I'm assuming 
hoping the Video-card will still be at x16, and the motherboard would run cooler (or what's the point.)


and Lisa Su is about to announce a new architecture (presumably.)

There is a very dated (and mostly irrelevant) link that preaches just what I am doing now, *researching* whether or not a motherboard can support m.2 NVME and SATA-m.2's working *together*.
*My* x470 is definitely *not* optimal, but I sort of hoped they've chewed a few fingernails since then...

This totally-confusing site Asrock amd x570 creator mega info - Hardware / Motherboards - Level1Techs Forums *proves* people wonder about this, but since I do not do any math as a rule, I have no idea what they're saying (upstream to bigger downstream, I think)
My poor SATA drive works fantastic but slows everything else down.
Save yourselves! Leave any sale-priced ngff/SATA M.2's in the dust to die.
sexy
OK forget it, nevermind ("Open boxes" I don't need)





No comments: