-->

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Notes on a video

 




https://youtu.be/B7NzNi1xX_4?t=1325
("Lower is better")


Imagine someone was reading the dictionary of your favorite language, at around three times the speed they'd normally talk, and you'd have the substance of a talking-head video, which says basically,

that PBO raises the current limits on a CPU, but it makes no difference functionally.

(watching the video at 0.75x-speed helps enormously, 0.5x turns the host into Truman Capote.)

"Functional difference" vs marketing lingo. I get the impression they like Aorus Master better than Godlike, but that's only an impression from their unreadable charts.

The takeaway was (for me) set stuff on "Auto"

and

AMD puts little numbers next to their CPU's like r5, r9, to further muddy marketing waters.

I don't know for sure but an r5-3600 is a way different beast from an r9-3950, but that's only my impression, not probably why the "R" number is there.

Ryzen

Ryzen yadaX

Ryzen RBlah number X

Ryzen  Zen (1,+,3) R(?,5,9), nnnnX, too many numbers.

Try categorizing all that, or be part of a group that's supposed to order this stuff?!!

On the other hand people exist who can tell you every character in "Star Wars" or "Harry Potter", can speak Klingon, know how "Trans warp drive" works, so I have no doubt that I am in the minority of people who have no idea what all the numbers are for.

I had a reason for watching that video, I swear, but I cannot remember right this second why.

I google a question I have, and a related fact comes up as a result, and I get lost in the related fact and forget the original question!


------

Writer's block, come back later. 

meantime, "what is RTT NOM?"



If it were easy, too many people would know, and that just isn't cricket.

OK I don't know what that said plus it says "ODT" not RTT
And everyone already knows ODT.
Yes, thanks to some guy at AMD, now average bums on the street know ODT.
But "RTT" is still sacrosanct.
Let us preserve the obfuscations of our forefathers, stick in tons of values in a BIOS as a sort of 
"are you worthy" test.
But if my RTT-Nom were 34 (left column of the chart), which it is, uhm,
OK I got lost. Min, nom, max of what?
I'll keep googling.
My ODT is 36.9, and that definitely isn't on the chart,
so, what does that mean??
----
(still googling)
The light switch can be programmed to "on" or "Off"
The voltage to the load is terminated when the switch is off.

Someone decided that my inferior chip, of the inferior line from an inferior company,
should have a nom of 7.
My value for "Park" has always been "5".
RTT-wr is abandoned, it's an orphan no one really wants.
Reading above, the chip shrugs and uses RTT-Nom instead.
You'd think (I'd think) the values should all be identical, but apparently, not.
Misbehavers need a heavy hand, and 240 is too milquetoast to quash their libertarianism.
But it should not be too dictatorial either, and most recommend "40" as heavy-handed but not too megalomaniacal,
I chose "36.9" because some guy said to, heaven help us all.



No comments: