-->

Saturday, January 9, 2021

This keyboard is busted (for one thing)

 


I must've heard it wrong, right? But there it is on their insurance website.
Now, suppose some diligent nurse sees that when I'm dragged away to the home.
30-40 units would kill a gorilla.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/pennsylvania-nurse-pleads-guilty-to-killing-patients-with-lethal-doses-of-insulin/ar-AA1o2Own?OCID=BingNewsSerp





Anyway...
Topical news notwithstanding, I have little to write, it would be bad-tasteful.
So my biggie rant is, this keyboard. Some would want to call, to send back, but I don't do that.
I just feel guilty stuffing it into a closet, and I'm thinking of disassembling it to remove the bug or whatever.
Except...They used those  torx screws or maybe they're allen.
I want to add that keyboard-buying is a disease, an addiction:
and I'm surprised there are no commercials asking you to please donate.
The guy above likes realforce, and others insist upon Das-Keyboard, and I'm almost stupid enough to succumb to their charms, except...Unless this realforce (This is an edit) starts fucking up, there wouldn't be any reason.
But that's no excuse for not buying expensive shoes or multiple watches, so I don't know how or why to avoid temptation.
O yeah, too many other parts (Very expensive parts) to buy, hmm.

Teachers are pedantic. Teachers "know it all" (for lack of a better phrase)...
they really do, and you disagreeing only hurts your grade.

Law professors and civics teachers. Believe them, repeat what they say, or be graded accordingly.

I had a rant about nurses on a mission from their master-doctor, but it isn't important right this second (80 units a day??)

I'd be sick of hearing about how that bitch 3dmark went into slow motion,
but I'm bringing it up after a major BIOS update.
Things were working great, I was bored, it meant nothing to me (honest!) but 3DMark is adamantly pissed.
I mentioned something about the motherboard speaking to me, and I brought along a picture so they won't drag me off:
Putting it on an extension cord, rotating it so you wouldn't get your neck twisted trying to read it,
all these things they'll magically think up in the more godlike version coming soon.

The new BIOS update was fraught with peril, I don't have a list of settings pasted to a wall or in my head.
"RZQ/5" is NOT 240, I know that now.
I'm sort of glad I'm not in the bomb-disposal business.
Anyway there is no "RZQ/5" so I mistakenly put 240, not 48 (240/5).
Then there was that whole training-seed thing, mr6vref-yada, which was best left alone, only I was sure someone had mentioned a tweak (for something else, it turns out.)
Memory was fast, CPU-boost very very slow...I backed off memory and it got faster.
It isn't perfect but it's better. Here's a pic in case this paragraph looks too greek.
I don't know why but There was a newer beta BIOS to replace the Beta BIOS, and it's better at least in one biggie respect:
The CLOCK (the system clock, not the time) doesn't act like a drunken sailor anymore.
Plus I overcame my prejudices and used the latest version of the DRAM Calculator.
It has my memory running on slower specs, but the system seems happier (I don't know).
That benchmark utility I like to call "Faithless" is tied to some arcane voltage in the BIOS, I swear it is.
My only question is, Which voltage is it tied to??
The temp at idle used to nod off and suddenly get wide awake, like a bored person in a waiting room.
50! (49,48,47,...41)50! It isn't doing that as much.
But...
wanna scary story?? Updating the BIOS to the newer one got the update program to progress all the way to "50%" and completely stop.
Three times it did this (because I reflashed it three times).
So...the PC isn't dead or "Bricked,"
and the bios is a beta, so...
No harm done, I think.
Google this if you're bored...There is no solution but a few brave souls go ahead and reboot, with no problems.
wanna fake-news propagandistic story? You all love that stuff...here


*I* wanna totally guess, that since BIOS was flashed successfully before, it had something to do with "Secure Boot" or its minions.
I, uh, won't be enabling any of that, not at least until a regular BIOS comes out.
On the other hand, once the BIOS was reset the TPM-stuff should have disappeared and reflashing would have been possible. 
I don't think I mentioned it, but the flash *worked*, just not the way they intended, I think.

Yay!!




TPM

"No security Device Found" (wtf)



"The platform owner enrolls the public half of the Platform Key (PKpub) by calling the UEFI Boot Service SetVariable() as specified in Section 7.2.1 of UEFI Spec 2.3.1 errata C, and resetting the platform. If the platform is in setup mode, then the new PKpub shall be signed with its PKpriv counterpart. If the platform is in user mode, then the new PKpub must be signed with the current PKpriv. If the PK is of type EFI_CERT_X509_GUID, then this must be signed by the immediate PKpriv, not a private key of any certificate issued under the PK.
Protocol B as set forth in paragraph C:
(history of the world, appendix, condensed version, part 1a)

Nomad!! Command entry: Obtain PKI! Execute!!



He calls it a "Pro Tip" implying he's a pro.




Various features of Microsoft's windows can REEEAALLY screw up your whole OS and you need to erase everything and reinstall, 
although I knew,
from way back when,
not to "compress the disk to save space,"
nor to use bitlocker (disk encryption,) 
because if windows gets in a mood, you're fucked.
Plus people like Snowden exist who can bypass whatever security you think up.

But let's have some context here: I want(ed) a TPM module because of the empty slot on the motherboard.
Then I read that most modules up until a certain year (2017? 2018??) were compromised.
NOW I read that TPM is already inside the processor.
Attestation: Ready (Make it so)


I uhm, . . . (Why does the motherboard have a slot?)
And if you change the BIOS or install another CPU, does windows have a cow?
The world would end for my windows.

TPM isn't enough, by the way. I'm impotent, according to a page that says I need secure-boot,
and the "Secure Boot" expels me for not having a platform key.
You have to really agree to this stuff, commit yourself, and then you're locked in place and if a hard drive fails, god help you. If An attractive CPU beckons, abandon all hope.


But I'm feeling adventurous and I did try this disastrously 8 years or so ago (I can't remember the monumental-failure's reason, changing BIOS, I think)
My BIOS is a beta, and I don't have the greatest memory in the world (to shut it off if needed)
Oh, shit, to be continued....


"whose private key never leaves the chip" until you change the chip.
oshit. Bother.

rantyranty:
If you have a TPM, a hardware device (or whatever, a physical object) why do you need keys?
If your PC is home-built, no keys exist (right?) 
I've never seen the keys, And this is getting creepy, I only wanted TPM,
 not secure-boot (not really).
But my windows says I'm inadequate and ob-so-lete, so what's a user to do (I must be in "user mode" to change any of this.)



Well *this* is user mode, isn't it?
I'm confused.

Sword of Damocles (factory keys) Geez!

----
A note about Core Isolation: 
since my disks aren't scrambled/encrypted, neither is my memory, I blame "Core Isolation"
for slowing down the system by maybe 2/8ths, and no I don't know what that is in percentage points.
waitasec... twenty percent?
That sounds like a lot.
If I pissed off windows and turned core-isolation off, would it be super-pissed, Reinstall-pissed, or just fuming in another room?
I mean, mostly I play "solitaire" and "Sims" (This keyboard is fantastic, thank-god) so I can always turn it back on.
I'll turn it off, benchmark (3dmark is in a relatively good mood) and come back to edit this.

It went up slightly.
Now a guy might wonder if using a hardware TPM might make the CPU happier.
It's not a super-expensive item but the people on the internet aren't too happy about them, for whatever reason. One of them being two concurrent versions, 1.2 and 2.0, (and updated-2.0, less hackable) but even that would not deter me.
what DOES is the pinouts 10, or 14, or 18, and the electrical connections.
The "MSI" one looked great but had the wrong number pins.
The ASUS one looked great but someone wrote a review that they're electrically-incompatible with a motherboard he has (msi, I think)


Probably that's why they don't cost tons, But I would not know.
"11600" is an acceptable score, I *suppose*, hmm.
The first few years of bluetooth looked a lot like this (and Dana Scully hated bluetooth on "The X-Files," o nevermind)
This all being the case, the despised and denigrated "Firmware" one is best, being free.
They despise anything they cannot profit from, but now I'm just ranting (again)

Those asking questions of the mostly ignorant (EEgnorant) know tons more than the answerers. 
O, yes, they can read a paragraph from a dusty tome, but that's it.
I've been indoctrinated to believe (so far) that the AMD firmware solution is an interim-one, but
AMD updates their firmware far more often than a TPM does.
But *I* only wondered if it took less from a CPU to have a hardware one plugged into a separate slot.
No one really knows the basics, and are proud-as-punch just getting the damned thing to even work.

I hope to buy one soon, to answer my own question, "Does a firmware TPM slow the computer down, or does that apply to ANY TPM solution??" and an accompanying question, does adding a TPM to an already protected system, cause conflicts, (or do they become fast friends, or ignore each other?)
Disable, do NOT clear, gotcha.
Version 1.38 here. (I hope it's adequate)
And what of the hardware chip plugging into another slot, has it been "mitigated" as well?
One wonders.


No comments: