-->

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Itchy fingers

 I'm convinced that the people working for Microsoft are very very nervous, and maybe paranoid as well, so they keep changing stuff, stuff that used to work but doesn't now because they changed it.


OK backstory: My working xbox-one controller is dirty and could use a button-cleaning, which they've made impossible, so I ordered the same thing online, or so I thought.

This new one uses USB-C instead of Micro-USB, and "Steam" is blind to it.( I fixed that, yay-me, but it still needs a wireless dongle)

but the one windows was happiest with was the one where it uses Bluetooth while connected to a USB-C cable.

This makes little sense, except maybe the cable is not worthy of Microsoft's lofty standards.

If so, the cable that was fine for my keyboard and mouse, will be getting replaced by an "Amazon Basics" cable which I'm surmising, won't be worthy either.

Note to self...The single usb-c connector on my motherboard (there used to also be one on my defunct/dead video card) might have been better than an adaptive USB-A-to-USB-C cable, or maybe it makes no difference; I haven't read much fictional trivia lately.

(eg) "Fictional Trivia"


No, I'll have to go ahead with the adaptive-cable order, verify it doesn't work (42,000 other people at least tried) and THEN order a USB-C-C cable, because I'm not Caligula.



Buy the best and forget the rest, except it's wasteful


Yeahbutt... is USB 2 good enough? (for a freaking controller?)
I hear the Voice of authority saying something like,
 "we have a failure to communicate"
Or maybe
"We don't like your kind here"


No.
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3heuqy/help_usb_20_hub_will_it_work/ (yes/no)

Bottom line:
The cable I ordered, the "cheap" usb-A to USB-C, works!!
What was wrong with my old one, I do not know.
But For your information, 1-Meter/3 feet cables are incredibly short, and work if you sit very still.
I WILL order a biggie fat-ass cable but I think I'll wait a month or so...

No comments: