-->

Saturday, April 3, 2021

A Passing train in the night (big and scary but very far away)

 https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-vs-amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt#xenforo-comments-3696614

Links do not work in this thing unless you publish, and I haven't written anything yet.

But the train started with what AMD has to sell (*nothing*) 




Then
, I must have googled a term or two.. I'll go look: 

https://news.google.com/topics/CAAqIAgKIhpDQkFTRFFvSEwyMHZNSG8yTkJJQ1pXNG9BQVAB

Disingenuous, that's a word, right? Tom's Hardware gets paid if you buy a product, gets the product free, calls the 3070 a "High-End" card.



More like High-priced card. Sell your soul at your peril, Tom.

If you insist upon believing the words on that site as though they were from a burning-bush in the Bible, I'd need to reinterpret the way I read it.

The best cards available, if they actually were available, and (something akin to Nvidia loving you so much, they sent their only Card to save your computer)



what is raytracing, anyway??
 I swear I had it, and if it's shafts-of light, I could do without.

Raytracing, from Wiki

I've got a fouled-up card in my storage-closet that did raytracing, according to 3dmark, but it was too cheap, too insignificant, and of such a poor quality, that it had no "Backplate", which led to its sudden demise in February.

I don't do math
The other day, a car passed me, and on the stereo, some guy mumbled monotonal (Monotonally isn't a word. Fuck that)
He had a loud Bass blasting, so whatever he said was lost.
But I'll bet he's got Tons of $5000 shoes, prolly a raytracing card too.
yeahbutt... I cannot appreciate his style of music, his taste in tennis-shoes or the raytracing-capabilities of his card, I hope that's ok.
"Philistine" (I heard that.)
Yeah but I can just turn that particular feature off, right?
Run my game in 2K instead of four, ignore "Motion Blur".
So I don't ask for much, 13-14K-1080p -3Dmarks (14K is tons better, thank you)
(Rant) "Ray Tracing" and HDR are bogus features marketers use to get you to buy new stuff.
Consider for a second that the average Monitor is 27-32 inches and you sit possibly 24" away from it;
so why have it blasting eye-searing brightness?
Most of the last couple of monitors I've owned have had the brightness turned down to make them more eye-friendly.
"Ray Tracing" is a better example of a marketing-thing, average consumers don't really know what it is, but they'll rail in forums anyway about DLSS (another phantom feature).
If you're in one of those faith-based forums, uh, 240hz, DLSS, Raytracing, is the Only true monitor to buy.
(why?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/jk0bhl/dlss_and_nvidias_marketing_coup/


This picture (the price) should be in a museum you'll enjoy looking at next year
Was 2579, is only 2299 (so it's on sale) but it's out-of-stock, so...




No comments: