-->

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

chicken high (API, keys)

This train was brought to you by digital keys...

I'm not up on the technology but...people with different keys could have different levels of access.

Question: If you enter a security key with two companies, do those companies (for whatever reason) have the ability to share your...(I'm not wording this correctly)

Just like everyone everywhere says to not use the same password on different companies, although of course you *could*, until one of the companies is hacked, your password stolen, etc...
Well anyway, for safety's sake, should a person use different digital keys for different companies???

EG google, and your bank.


You're missing the big picture. Using the same password on different accounts is possible but unwise.
What about security keys?

Looking for a review of my key

I keep finding a copy of an article for Yubico (yubikey, whatever) from ZDnet,
whom I haven't trusted for years....

they liked Fido2, so what.

I found some other articles who declared they were sent keys, or thanked the companies sending them.

I'm guessing Yubico is generous. My company is too small to be that generous...but they say they're using Fido 2.
The *mechanics* of a key are important to me...Let me summarize the teeny-brain version in my head.

*I* am abc123, which I send to a company which sends back Abc123OK, and all of this is scrambled, of course, and dated for freshness.

My point (above) is, I'm sending "ABC123" to everyone I meet, and they send back cookies.

I flunked schematics in school.
I HATE these things, those arrows make no sense at all to me.
Eh? W H U T ?

Plus I don't think I actually *used* FIDO, because a microsoft urgent-looking box popped up to claim credit. )"Microsoft.....lmnopYw"..something)

Meh...6,half dozen
(also, WHUT??)

-------------



This sorry plot of land brought in 600k a day. Before Game-designers thoughtfully tweaked it and broke the API for my mods... My poor sim is in gardening hell now, weeding, watering, while her plants die by the hour and all her cash goes bye-bye


I'm halfway, half-heartedly, looking for a plain-language definition of "API" which, to me, is an interface from one program to another.
"Another" is usually a bigger program that cannot be easily looked at (without nefarious techniques),
but the interface (AKA the "API") is supposed to tell you where and how to put stuff.
But in bad programs, they keep changing the API on a whim, so what worked yesterday no longer works today.
The rest of this was written a while ago, and might repeat what I just wrote:
Lets talk about an unreadable word, "API" which (as near as I can figure)...is a kind of a personal translator for PC's.
A big-assed company has a way of talking to their little darling program.
And in a perfect world, when the "little darling" grows up and becomes a behemoth, the API they wrote twenty years ago should still work, which it does a lot of the time, with little "Deprecated" notes and additions enough to light an enormous christmas tree.

Newer shinier menus don't do as much, but they are newer, shinier, with bigger...titles.
  Enter "sims" which either has no API or one that is an abused orphan child, passed from programmer to programmer. (It's the reason all mods break, eventually.)
But modders are not chained to a desk in college, they've graduated, become doctors or real-estate salespeople.
So the mods, excellent ones, die.
For shame, "Sims."

I woke up mumbling in my sleep today, talking about my upcoming nuptials with a girlfriend, her grandfather, her father. 
I was effervescent, I was preachy, I was *asleep*, mumbling in a way brain-impaired sleepers do.
This blog has no such excuse, I'm ostensibly awake.
The theory is, the more I write, the more inspired I'll get, and one day, something good, or memorable, might be typed.
Not today, it seems.

No comments: