-->

Sunday, December 19, 2021

Math class Or something

 Don't read this, unless you like being confused.
Drug-dealer-chic video explains...something.

Wait, so a guy pays $90 a month for T-Mobile, and that's a deal?
"Maxup", isn't that the same thing as internet (with whatever name you want to add)?
"Hotspot", that's so some nicer device than your phone can have internet, right?
I'm paying a huge chunk (50) 
and
they have these add-ons, see?
Yeah, like 500G of Google storage for $5 (ok)
Or
2TB of "Google one"storage for $10.
"What? You must have misread.",
 Yeah, prolly.
The normal price is the same, why bother with T-Mobile?? (I'm confused)

If T-Mobile wanted access to your google drive, you could sign up through them....But, uhm,
no, nevermind (just thinking out-loud)

Microsoft's version costs more






And there's this whole max-thing.
yada "Hotspot" (on top of your 5gb freebie, or maybe instead of)
Hotspot in my case, being "Tethering" as opposed to having two internet providers.

But Wait! 
It gets more technical....
WHY not just order a modem for $50 a month and forget tethering???
I don't know, Why?
Tethering ("Hotspot") is cheaper, isn't it?



I have a free 5gb of hotspot, and I could pay 
$10 for 15gb.
or $15 for 40-gigs
or $25 for 50-gigs
I don't have a calculator that does algebra...
Plus they keep changing the name of the service:
Magenta(15)=$10
Maxup Data(40)=$15
Maxup(50)=$25

Magenta15 to Maxup(40) is five dollars (15*2+10 allotment of data)
but after that, they sort of get stingy, maxup(40) to (50) is a whole $10,
not (uh) (eg) 40*2+10=90, for $10 more.
In other words, Maxup(50) is seriously a bad deal compared to the others, I think.
Maxup Data looks best (But I am terrible at math.)

I am seriously suspicious that "maxup Data"
and
"Maxup"
are different besides just the name, because of the word "data" thrown in there.

I wonder then, why the different names.


None of this matters much unless you suddenly get cravings for 4K videos...his teeny-tiny video plays well over my Wifi, um, but that's a different subject.
No, Keep your 4k, I only want tethering for my behemoth of a PC.

...
hmm
...
So... The modem from them sounds good, BUT...
It's a whole $50,  WORSE than Maxup(50)!!
So it's, uhm, the math is wrong.

Some inner-voice reminds me that data-SPEED might be involved somehow, but the blurbs I'm reading do not mention speeds, only in fine print it says that whatever speed you get is purposefully Slowed if you go over your allotment.



The reliability of an internet connection, and the overall speed, are not really factors, when I choose an ISP, it's more of a monthly-cost thing.
Because sure, one single internet-provider can fail, and it's nice having a backup, but only people with OCD, or a girlfriend, or some server-setup, would care if internet went out for an hour every month or so.
Annoying but not worth worrying about.
Our last power failure, my phone's internet didn't work, I thought, but it started working, and then the power went on, so it's probably something I did.
(My wifi was out, so of course it didn't work, until I switched to the phone-network)

My PC goes through a router with a very-thin firewall (better than nothing.) 
The phone...gets...hooked directly to the phone-network, no thin firewall. (Unless I use Wifi, etc)
My hardwired ISP with my hardwired router to my hardwired PC might be better than some wifi/phone thing with a pissed-off neighbor hacking me because my friends park in his space (or I took the last brunch-doughnut, whatever.)
From what I've heard, you sort of hack into people's networks to have something to gossip about, as if it was an everyday thing no one gets in trouble for (like torrent, spreading rumors, etc)
So....I'm talking myself out of changing to anything that isn't cable (Unless they can hack that too, easier, I don't actually know)
Hardwired FTW


But...(lemme see) any data that is NOT wifi-connected, will be charged to my account!!
(whaaat?) 
Yeah I'm reading my phone's setup-menu, and it sure looks that way.
"Ethernet Tethering", "USB Tethering", OK I am not sure but if you have to enable it for it to work...
But then "mobile Data" is "Off," so....
without using ICS in windows, I could just hook to my router.
Once the router accepts it (details, details) and I punch-up my browser, THEN what?
Not sure. Would it treat it like it would Wifi, or do I have to "tether" and pay, and pay??


And quit parroting (*rawr!*) that I don't know what I'm talking about, why else would I write these?
I'm missing commenters, so it looks strange.
You read these, 
others do too, 
but people who comment on absolutely everything, never comment here.
I haven't found the switch.

No comments: