-->

Monday, December 27, 2021

vlan-rewrite

 Yesterday I wondered what vlan/bridge mode was, and I got way-sidetracked.
A bombastic page later, I regretted all my folderol and erased it.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-Firmware-RIDICULOUS/td-p/1981310
I must be a grandmother, according to his post.
I miss dd-wrt, I wish Netgear had a better idea of how to have readable menus that made sense.
And I wish I knew what vlan bridges were for.
My experiment (so far) is, anything on the VLAN - bridge thingy is totally dead, wireless or whatever, but the other ports work *fine*.
Um,
hmm.
The wifi network is broadcasting but connections are not allowed (strange.)
I shall now disable vlan, for another year.
https://serverfault.com/questions/802589/putting-android-on-ethernet-network-using-vlan-s (yada yada, ramalamadingdong, vlan is for more evolved beings than myself)

It's a trivial thing (apparently) to add a vlan-tag to windows, but Android won't, or I have not found the right combination of Google-keywords.
If I could, uh,
but hackers could just break into the router and modify my settings....
But my ideal would be, that my PC and one or two other devices would work, and everything else would be dead.
The solution, if there is one, is a carefully guarded secret. You're much more likely to have someone berate you for style, than have any actual usable answer.
Unanswered.
He answers MY question, at least...In theory I could make a vlan for my desktop but I should abandon hope for a phone.
(unless...something about "Tagless" comes up occasionally, but then they start talking switches.)
A vlan that would be my private island to the internet, all wireless and stuff, appears to be a dream for now.

No comments: