-->

Saturday, January 8, 2022

ROTD (because, that's what I do)

 China, Mexico, ("The Philippines"?)

China isn't actually china, as far as I know, Mexico is Mehico, And I cannot guess what the philippines is.

Some bright-bulb decided (for whatever reason) the way to spell the real chinese name in english, which no one can actually read, so they'll stick to "China" (apologies for the rant, but it's frustrating sometimes)
Joan Go-ah: Zhon (Joan) gguo (go-ah) (but that's from my ears which aren't exactly finely tuned instruments)

Sorry I asked. Whut?

BTW no one asked but China in french is Chine ("Shin" or "sheen", depending upon yer accent)

and in Tagalog, "Tsina" (Cheena, rhymes with sheena)

We could all speak each other's languages if they totally destroyed pronunciation keys that no one knows how to read except linguistics-experts who already know how to speak several languages anyway.


Pero (but) in spanish sounds absolutely nothing like pero, more like pedo with an accent.

Perro (dog) is unpronounceable by most...unpronounceable by me, anyway, but I can't whistle either so nevermind...

If you're ever in mexico looking for the post-office, write the word on a piece of paper, or be prepared to do a comedy-act with someone misdirecting you to the bullfights. I had hoped to illustrate with pictures, but google is very straightlaced and literal..."coreo vs correo" (I think) but I can't be sure yet.



Plus, everything I've read says "Corrida." (TBA or, nvm, it's not a biggie)

so (now comes my bad algebra) Correo, from a person who can't roll any r's, might have sounded close to "Toreo", and that's all I've got,

"Fontainebleau" is complicated, they're in Vegas, Florida and France (another mispronunciation) but (the reverie goes,) you'd look specially stupid trying to pronounce them correctly.

Some words can not be mispronounced (like "Tortilla" "Louisville" "New orleans") but that's another matter (isn't it?)
The rest of this reverie wonders how true french-people pronounce the bleau in Fontainebleau.

..
This guy says it's "fountainblow" but in english with a french accent, so it sounds identical to me (minus the accent)

https://www.google.com/search?q=pronounce+Fontainebleau&oq=pronounce+Fontainebleau

Maybe there's a sexy lady pronouncing it, brb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulP8LECnApc it sounds like "Fountainblow" with a french-accent.

It's like, we're supposed to know how to pronounce what they're saying by hearing it...but You have to teach your tongue and lips.

There's this really old musical movie they don't show much anymore...

an old American woman in China was kidnapping people and carting them off in a big straw laundry hamper with squeaky wheels.

She's only important right this second because she bossed her Chinese employees around saying
"Shu sho," Which I took to mean "Hurry up" but I am not sure.

I'll find the movie ("Thoroughly Modern Millie") 

https://vanmusicals.com/2009/07/27/interview-with-sarah-rodgers-thoroughly-modern-millie/


"Miss Lillie as the manager of a hotel for young ladies, who secretly plies the wicked trade of drugging unattached tenants and selling them to a couple of bogus Chinese laundry men.Miss Andrews is absolutely darling —"(https://www.nytimes.com/1967/03/23/archives/screen-thoroughly-modern-milliepleasant-spoof-of-20s-opens-at.html)

Another delete-able phrase from movies is "She-shi" ("Thank you")
But most people I've ever encountered say they don't know Cantonese (or they don't know Mandarin, Go away)



So the three words I know are politely ignored. 

Oh,mah. Knee How?


What is "Fake news" anyway? And if it's so fake, why reprint it? 
 This story from "USA Today" is really just an ad, but you wouldn't know that until you click on the seemingly hot women in the teeny tiny ad.
Then you see a large picture of two men getting close.
Whatever fluffy crap the story says, it's blatantly fake (unless you pay to subscribe)



Gay people get married, dodge taxes (*yawn*)
-----
I wish I could customize google news.
Stuff gets successfully quashed and buried, unless of course I already *know* what the news is and what to look for (that's why I'm reading the damn headline page)
An opinion on a news show towers over death and disaster, New york is the most important state in the union, and so on, but me ranting about it just makes me an ineffective ranter on a pissant little page...


their crimes are pure and not sullied by hate.
Buried

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/15/us/colleyville-texas-hostage-situation/index.html
Top story



No comments: