-->

Thursday, December 15, 2022

opaque

In VDDP (or CLDO_VDDP, depending upon which belief system you are part of)  

the DDR "Phy" voltage is 0.85-0.95 range (I've been told) and the middle of that range is 0.9.

Yeahbutt...My DDR is, uh, 1.4 or 1.2, depending on the fire up its butt.
Setting VDDP to (e.g.) 1.35 would totally kill it.
But you wouldn't know that unless you googled it (o BLAST, damn)


It's a thing that takes something and turns it into digital language the computer understands.

(Whut?)


What's a "Phy?"

OSI Model? (ogeez)
"Network controller?"
(O_man)
Between The dimms and the CPU (the IMC in the CPU)
...Right??




My bottom line is, why have a range at all. Is it for the peaks and valleys, or powering a computer chip, or what?
(remark deleted)
But OK, "1.2-0.1=1.1" I guess (which is kinda high)
You prolly can't read this anyway, but the %$#@ vddp goes off-screen, sorry about that


At this exact second I cannot find middle ranges for anything,
You've got the Ass-on-fire aficionados and the ones copying from a book.
But poring over many forgotten lores 


makes me think it's 0.900, but they forgive Plus or Minus tolerances, the way manufacturers do, it's built into the design.

EXtra quaint and curious


The answer to "what is VPP" or something, is supposed to be buried in this arcane document.
I kind of needed something less NASA-level, but whatever.
O, Thx Loads (#$@!)

VPP (starts with DDR4) 
I only found two links, both say, 
"I don't know," 
and the rest of the links wax bombastic about DDR5.
I dare ya to run your super-fast DDr4 at "1.2VDD", it just isn't done, but tell that to the book-quoters.
So there is a reason to fuck with "2.5" VPP but I haven't found anyone doing it, they're too busy buying DDR5.
So nevermind.
It's just, there are three or so DDR settings in my BIOS that have been on "Auto" since ages past.
I'm depending upon the BIOS writer to know, and my Power-supply to comply.
The picture I'd add here for completeness has no voltage readings...Should I bother?
"Chipset Yado_blah" is specific to MSI and is mostly confused with another similarly named setting.
I must have done this a year ago or why would CLDO be "1.13"?
Why is my "Chipset SOC" 1.09??
IDK, they work, musta been good advice but I can't remember. 

"Google is your friend" a-holes be damned.
Seriously write a book on this stuff and *hopefully* you'll be one of the good ones not quoting ranges from some book.
You'll be rich and powerful.




 



No comments: