-->

Thursday, January 19, 2023

eveil empire


Time there was when the press would insinuate that 
every time and place an amazon-warehouse would open, businesses surrounding would wilt and die.


*Now* they're po'd Amazon is laying off people. "The most people in History" toots one headline.



I'm kicking myself for the lack of links....Plus, websites re-date their articles so they appear to be really recent, when in fact they could be many years old.
I don't believe the date published....

(link)






I'm only reminiscing that all my packages used to go to a warehouse a very short bus-ride from here, in a neighborhood that seems decent, except for the sporadic and horrific crimes close by (but not in) the town.
NOW the warehouse, if it still exists, shuns my packages and they go to a detroit-style warehouse much farther away.
Well it makes you wonder. Anything they do is eveil

in much teenier print, evil-empires across the country are divesting themselves of massive hordes (poor huddled masses boo hoo)
(Linky)

See, you got bored staying home and bought stuff and twittered up a storm, and NOW you're out getting drunk and buying clothes, and, uhm, (O, blame Biden, you want to so bad anyway) 
I hope they lay off full-page-ad monkeybois


154,000

layoffs in 2022 

But it's all *amazon's* fault, right?
Geez
Blatant consumerism


(link)
All those richer-than-god NFT owners weeping and gnashing their virtual teeth, hmm






ROTD? (first paragraph, first picture in this entry) Chinese New Year, when all tech becomes unavailable, shipping stops dead, stocks of electronics, depleted.
You'd think stores would *plan*, and maybe they do.
The exact dates are typically vague...."Feb 9th" "Feb 5th"is the lastest day, so buckle down, hibernate until Feb 10th.
But I'm jus' talkin, I wouldn't really know (last day also said to be Jan 27th?) 
Hang on, I need a freakin link.
Crap.


wait, I'm sure I misquoted...(%$#@)
Fifteen days of ennui (dead days)
so date-to-date would be appreciated, Helloooo (ahem) Ni Hao???? 你好
(It's my piss poor pronunciation, isn't it ("knee how")
In 2023, the Chinese New Year
falls on Jan. 22 and the celebration ends on Feb. 5.
It sounds like some christian parable ("verily I say unto you") and acquiring exact dates seem doomed to fail.
At LEAST 7, POSSIBLY as much as 15


WHY do I care? (I do!)
Beeeecause my wheelchair's lead time is already enormous, gargantuan.
Gigantic, HUGE.

--------
I spent an hour recalibrating my color (the "white saturation" thing on the top-right corner of this site)
And then I spent another eon calibrating *windows* color correction (The white saturation was unaffected)
And I've gotten better contrast, which is nice, but some black colors seem gray.
No, wait! Maybe they're supposed to be gray!
Here, a slice of things on this page
The top section is a nice black, the bottom is wimpy-gray (charcoal, whatever)

I wanted to mumble aimlessly about all the corrections going on:
  • "Adaptive contrast" is all the way up, I've stopped pretending it should be low, I need all the help I can get.
  • Then AMD adrenalin is adjusting the contrast, not as good as nvidia's, but the result is the same.
  • Then Windows has a set of corrections to add,
  • Then "Cleartype" steps in.
On a hypothetical bad day, one or two of those could go wrong and I'd have to call in an engineer to look at the mess.

I don't know why but I got to thinking about a quote people teach you (inculcate, indoctrinate, whatever.) No shortcut to victory? (Richard Lugar) nono, 
"No Substitute for victory."
Anyway brainyquote's quotes about victory were lacking the famous quote, which is prolly from a movie with Gregory Peck.
(ibid)
The name Corregidor (misspelled and mispronounced) is in my head, associated with Macarthur who famously said, "I shall return."
(He sort of co-opted the phrase and no one else can ever say it, unless they're being silly.)







No comments: