-->

Saturday, May 27, 2023

ATX 3.0 (yeda bleh mmff hmm)

 https://www.msi.com/Landing/first-power-supply-unit-for-atx-3-pcie-5#:~:text=MSI's%20MEG%20Ai1300P%20PCIE5%20Is%20the%20World's%20First%20ATX%203.0%20Compliant%20PSU

I started watching a YouTube video from Australia try to explain ATX 3.0, and got something from a math class.

Does your video card *already* operate on the hairy-edge of power requirements?
Marketing blurbs (written by mathematicians) say that in a new standard, a typical 3.0 supply could up the power to accommodate voltage spikes from a video card.



Makes ya wonder why they don't just design cards with well behaved limits that do not spike, 

I'm not done but there isn't much else to add except for reboots and power-downs being common around here that I cannot duplicate on purpose; or record or document, it's too brief.
Something is set wrong! Something hasn't been bought!
duh, IDK Let me browse your wares.

EPS 2.x vs ATX is explained (not) by

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-eps12v.217277/

and if you're into exegesis you might conclude that they are mutually exclusive.
Whether that's true I wouldn't know, since I use both. The BIGGIE connector is ATX, and the (two) little ones labelled "CPU."

I had some time to kill so I wondered.

850W (what I have now) with extra bling for voltage spikes, yeah, you've piqued my interest.

WTF is "shift"??
IDK, cheaper than seasonic, uh, 
Not to be confused with RM1000E, which is for the great unwashed, the plebs, the uneducated (???!!)
(wait, some nice person might have compared the two, but don't wait up)
Well, *apparently* RM1000x is cheap-ass but once it's mounted I won't care.
That's looking at the *side*, not the back, like normal upright church-going supplies since the dawn of time...

I'm adding that my cable-installation looks exactly like the above, only messier.
The cables press up against the plastic-window, and if you're into hiding the cables, forget that.
But they are correct when they say that the cables are much easier to access.








Two different models.
(godrics heart, ^%$#@)



Only 2 PCIE cables get some users' panties in a bunch; I (think that I) only need two. 
No wait, they're shills or moles: The factory sealed supply has SIX connectors, Two of them are on a Y-Cable (five cables, six connectors)
 of ATX 2.0 (no dinky pins)
Three spares, two installed... and is the rightmost cable in my pic
*another* Y cable? That makes *Seven* connectors total (right?)
Too late to check.
I'll find some site




Two Connectors, NOT ATX3.0 (more like 2.0)
What else...well, I'm here so obviously it works.
But I need to check BIOS, the PC sounds too quiet (!)
If your monitor is slightly Dim, I apologize for the black-on-black picture, but trust me, it's two atx (mmff) versions.


Some guy somewhere wrote that the PSU craps out at 1135-watts...if that's true, wtf is the "ATX3.0 (ready)" for??
I won't really notice and the PC won't care I bought this model, and there is no way to test it, not really. A let-down, kind of.

 
Without any external equipment,
I'll never be able to know what a "Spike" is
or how much it demands of the power supply.
(900w?)
Some guy wrote that with his super fantastic power-eating card,
he never got above 600-plus Total watts
(I'm going on memory), 625, 650.
This next pic is even more conservative 
Gilding the pig

But then there are the loch-Nessie spikes.
I couldn't write anyone, nor talk in any forum,
without having a better supply,
because Some guy would bombast a bromide about power-supplies,
and this is my "defendo" spell.
-------
The same mostly, but lots quieter
(but the panels are off, so...)
Changing the most piddly setting in BIOS in a microscopic way is like punching a friend in the arm, they wake up for a bit.
(Or something, IDK)


BIOS readings (from supply to supply) are identical, which means the motherboard's regulators are doing their job.
"12.000V" so cool


Uhm, but it's eerily quieter. Did I forget a fan? 
The bugs are restless, you might be reading soon how this died suddenly...
-----
The CPU is ridiculously cool in this 80F degrees-plus room.
34C? Ridiculous.
My eyes were deceiving me, it's a steady "35" now.
By comparison, it never used to go below 39 before and usually stayed on "40"
 I'm specifically asking Google if modern power supplies (as opposed to 2009 or so) are quieter because of some ATX or EPS design.
I never heard an answer back.
ONE site claims to know but all his charts and graphs are gone,
and everything else he says is filler, history-of-world stuff.
I don't know if this is relevant (not being an engineer) but once I replaced the Ballast on a fluorescent light fixture with a new trendy high-frequency ballast, which was (I forgot what it was or why.)
Maybe it was quieter.
And Tom of tom's hardware (I think it's them) claim they dislike the capacitors inside my cables.
Hey, whatever helps!!
Capacitors are usually there to destroy "Ripple" which can be heard as hum (high or low frequency), so, biggie guess, they lessen the hum.
*My* cables are corsair type-5, which may or may not actually *have* capacitors, he might have been speaking about a slightly different version.
I'll keep an eye out for the real reason....

No comments: