-->

Saturday, May 13, 2023

My 6950 II

 https://cybersided.com/gpu-fan-control/

The card is long and extremely thick. Not so long as to be noteworthy, but much longer than the ATX-sized motherboard, and a little longer than the plate the board sits on.

But it's the thickness that's noteworthy, due to the heatsink-fins.

I don't know the physics of fans, especially in a hot room, or how good the card's heatsinks are, so I plan to do some experimenting.

Cool-quiet,
Very warm
Shit-a-brick (pants on fire, etc)

People spend tons of time undervolting and such...it's not something I really want to do, especially since the undervolted amount is 0.025 less than 1.2 or "1.175,"
according to AMD's adrenalin.

So OK I already know that 100% speed is ridiculously loud, Dustbuster loud.

Generic-type fan pic that looks a lot like mine
First try. Knowing you're too busy killing monsters to check on fan speed.
maybe https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-026, but I really would not know (yet). (not so far, no)
Whut?? Where???
Left side=their optimistic version, right side, gritty reality
Unhelpful, unnecessary, Boo
Whoa, there it is, "VR Streaming" (whut??)

You can't see how *tiny* this is, you need a microscope
But can you adjust it? 
(Please see Mr. A.H above)

Quaint, curious, freaking arcane switches, it works, its small (but not tiny) so Fine, this entry is now officially superfluous (since I cannot remember what I did).
Enable---everything.


My fans be like a frightened teacher in a bad neighborhood.
Warm is good, hot is OK, the fire alarm shouldn't be going off.

I shall do it artificially, in (maybe) Furmark, That GPU gadfly that makes the GPU all pissed (They have a newer version, what, sharper needles??)
Would you trust your kid to this? (man?)
Don't panic..Don't panic...Must keep calm (in children of the damned class)


But I'm skipping over what happened in the forest, a sudden way-drop in framerate (we're talking anime speed)
Player DIED just to adjust this, photorealistic trees.
Don't giva a rat's butt about trees when in battle
There's too much to say about this pic to stuff it into the last blog entry
Where to start... OK first, "Chipset SOC" 
was lowered again to more-or-less match NB SOC. 
Since this is the best run ever, I'm thinking that there is an actual best voltage for SOC, but since I don't know what it is, I guessed
You *should* be more specific, raising a voltage because it's trendy isn't a good idea (I guess)
is raising SOC a type of limiter (it was in *my* case,) but I'd need to explain that, insert charts and graphs, nevermind.
(But thinking out loud, if it were even *lower*, would that help anything????)
OK define "Undervolt"...and plus I'm on a 3000-series.
But he's pretty right-on, except I'd need to test the rest of this
(Damp, clammy, "sultry") night
And I don't want to.

1.092 to (maybe) 1.05, um, ?? 
BRB (don't wait up)





I think I need to run other benchmarks to see if the card craps out at these levels,
and kills the PC (it never ever says why.)







So a year ago, I'd be in the running, but NOW it's at the tail end  (of a long list mostly of GTX 4090)

Yeah, I'm gonna go back to my "Hogwarts" game now.
It's strange that the *menu* page of that game takes so much power, a ridiculous amount. 
I'll think on it, read stuff.
I found the right question, anyway

Frame-rate Target control, and "Radeon Chill" seem OK, but it'll ruin any benchmarks. IDK. 
I need to be more *refined* (rico-suave) and only target games.
"FRTC" is only a "Global" option that cannot be toggled on or off in an individual game, I think (It seems so horribly wrong that I *must* be incorrect)
And...
Turning off all the ray tracing options in-game seems to help, 55C-60c vs 75C.
But that might be coincidental with some adrenalin setting, I'm not sure.
Raytracing didn't seem to be a biggie yesterday.

No comments: