-->

Thursday, May 11, 2023

My 6950

 Something in the new card kills the computer dead, if you slap it on the ass and tell it to run (a benchmark.)

So they invented "Undervolt".



Yeah, You can rant on that I got a shitty runt of a card, a 6900-ish card, or whatever...

I hate sending stuff back, so fucket, it either breaks soon or this is it for a while.

On the other hand, ... I can run the driver's "stress test" but 3dmark bombs, commits hara-kiri.

If a little undervolting worked, will *more* be a good idea?

This is not done.

waaiiit, "2602"?

"2100 mhz??" and no mention of this "Boost clock"

Why undervolt, it's very clear (as mud)
The clock should be, 2100, with the mythical boost clock 2310
I sort of cheated and raised 2310 to 2325 max, 
but the card comes out of the box overclocked to way more than that
(Which doesn't work, but it looks cool)


This is too-too confusing, plus it's late, but the AMD-adrenalin now presents me with a percentage of speeds, not actual speeds.
Just a second ago it was showing actual speeds which maybe are way too fast for the card.
The card (I think) shits a brick and sends a message to power down the computer.
I've gotten "3dmark" to run halfway through before it stops, saying it encountered an error (but no brick-shitting)
I'm getting very close.
The bottom line (maybe) is to lower the GPU clock (but nothing else) until stuff passes.
The result of total Guesses
What speed could I achieve if I knew what I was doing?? Hmm

I just read the fine print, I'm below average, but it works (mostly.)
Could a guy creep up the clock back towards normal or did they already insaaaanely overclock it to sell more cards, I don't know.
I tried making coffee during this and 3dmark threw an error.
I must already be on some hairy edge.
Some site states confidently that the boost-clock is 2310MHZ, and I also found the exact-frequency button.
Well shit, I'd be average except for the damn scarlet A (tessellation unworthy)

I'm not sure but all the arcane websites that go on about undervolting, must be 
thinking that since this card is so damn fast anyway, it can be cooled down a bit and still be fast.
Maybe, but I'm still working out the kinks and I wanna get rid of the warning (Or how could I ever brag)
So anyway, @2325MHz, (1.1 chipset SOC?? IDK) it finally worked, and I wore down 3dmark to approve the damn score.
Hopefully, this is consistent, not a dream for future memories.


No, it's a dream for people who love to start stories with "remember when...?"
with wistful grins. 
So anyway it's dropped to somewhere around 19272, and the average to beat is suddenly 19,300 (I wonder if that was My fault)
I raised my max clock, I'll raise it again (maybe,)
If the benchmark gods smile upon thee 
or vestal virgins have been sacrificed,
or maybe 3dmark was sleepy and said "fucket"
I don't want to spread myths but do you think lowering my "Chipset SOC" (not NB SOC) did anything?
See, cuz,
1.1 is really higher than that, and setting it to 1 gets me 1.1 (I think, maybe)
I'll edit this.
The NB-SOC is Auto at 1.092, so I manually tried to match Chipset-soc.
Who knows...(TBA)


Or (I've been repeating this) maybe it's a fluke. Plus, 19,000 to 19500 still gets you 190 in some game, meaning it makes little/no difference, but I like the difference.
"meh"




A reddit on 6950 speeds "I have no problems" vs everyone else

-----

A new subject, why "Hogwarts Legacy" treats my card like some uneducated bumpkin (no offense, bumpkins) after running the 2-second benchmark. It prejudges.
Forget that, I set everything to "Ultra" except for raytracing, which I arbitrarily set to "medium". Hunky-dory.
But I wanna read up on it, and dump randomness here.

The richer-than-god bumpkins are not amused.
https://www.techspot.com/review/2627-hogwarts-legacy-benchmark/

I am very unsure why AMD-Adrenalin thinks my performance is "Marginal", because it isn't, it is excellent.
But if I can, I will use some onscreen framerate-utility.
AMD should already be doing that, but it does not, but flipping between the game and adrenalin shows my FPS to be high.
Anyway I'm so happy it works at all, and I also don't know why the card is clocked so high by default.

No comments: