-->

Saturday, June 3, 2023

AMD optimized?

 Skip my intro, a nationalistic rant pertaining to video cards, beeecause no one I know of compares video cards like Toyotas and Fords.

But my game kind of looks down its nose on AMD and just updated itself with the latest Nvidia bling.
I want to abandon the well-played game, say "Goodbye" quickly (How many times can you get off graduating from school?)

and try an "AMD-Optimized" game, of which there are very few.

"Borderlands 3"?


There's a really old '50's-style joke about a woman overspending at a department store and justifying her purchases by saying they were on sale, and she saved (50%.)

The joke of course is, she'd save tons by not buying anything at all.
*I* want a new game, One that at least gives a respectful nod to AMD, and I know very little about current games, so Borderlands seems OK.
The fact that it's on sale, well, ...

-------

I miss tons... but I thought I heard someone say I should buy "Borderlands 2."

In fact a lot of review sites say you should, because then you can smile about the good-old-days when you finally play 3.
But I might seriously hate this game, and I'm only buying the 40 vs the $15 version, because maybe it'll make a bad game better (more guns, more missions)

I'll have tons of problems getting all the settings exactly perfect, speed and glossy trees and flowers blended together (I hope). Reflections in ponds, cloudy skies, and all this stuff I'll notice supposedly while trying not to get killed.

IDK

-----

The bitcoin-mining capabilities of my card are hard to find, the boiler-plate specs are either blank or pretty low.
That's most likely because I'm looking in the wrong places...
I've always gotten the feeling that hackers and trolls are the most interested in mining, But that's prolly wrong too.
Listen to an explanation and you'll be bedazzled by math, but first I was under the impression that it (the technology) spent hours decrypting codes, with a reward for every code decrypted, and my gut said that it was eveil somehow.

It gets advertised as a theft-free technology, which people have ripped off.
Stock-market people get involved, infamous types with handlebar moustaches and top-hats...IDK. 



But it might be nice to get involved, but then I remember the work-farms of slave GPU's working 24/7 I'd be competing against.

A note for posterity:
Changing VDDP (all by itself, "VDDP" in BIOS) from 0.915 to 0.920
(this amount is so incredibly tiny it used to be considered insignificant)
put some fire up 3dmark's ass and it ran like the wind, once.
So we can remember fondly that on a dry track on a sunny sunday, it ran like hell, before it (prolly) died.
Fastest ever, for super-random reasons, hmm

This next bit requires its own entry...but I'm too tired.
"What is hold up time in a power supply?"
I was way wrong in the definition, the one that says that a Power Supply will "Hold up" its power until all the internal parts are ready.
Otherwise (says my wrongish theory) the voltage to a motherboard could be off by a dangerous amount.
So when you turn it on, it waits for a signal from subordinate parts, "ready".

My theory must be in a different specification that is NOT called "Hold up time."
Unfortunately the single link (I gotta go, quickly) is in technospeak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_good_signal





No comments: