-->

Sunday, January 14, 2024

quick notes

 It comes to mind every time they have a prescription commercial; people dance 
(Morbidly obese people)
Or people with a rash.
The commercials themselves are vague and innocuous, it's the warnings that make you have nightmares.
I'd quote some but I'm not good at conjuring up nightmares...
"May cause Death"
"...Lymphoma" and other scary stuff.
WHY are you pushing drugs on people, then telling them they're so scary?
Live with the rash, or die.

May cause death or serious infection, tell your doctor stuff (They'll hate you for doing that, but we don't wanna be sued)


OK nevermind for now, I'll edit this or it will be gone

Speaking of dying, My CGM has to be changed every ten days or it gets all pissed and refuses to work.
*I* claim it's a profit-thing, but someone else might claim it reduces long-term infections.
*Fine* (if that's true) but why couldn't I just move it to a different spot?
TODAY it was changed but it's nuts and says I'm extremely low and to eat.
I try to tell it that it's full of shit (and here's my meter's real reading) but it kind of ignores it.
These big gigantic huge injection-things are very expensive and cannot be ordered again before their time.
An insurance-company change guarantees (with my rotten luck) that these are the last CGM's I'll ever own, or maybe I'll need to switch brands, which needs a prescription, which has to be carefully worded or it'll cost zillions. 
My meter and strips have been sent out to pasture for a long-deserved rest, but they've been called back to active duty.
What happens when I need new strips?
(When the CGM plan craps out?)
They make it sound like that's a really bad thing, 
So I'm wary,
But DME totally sucks-ass.
Prescriptions rule except for all the damned "Tiers"

This link is fellow denizens of the CGM hellscape.
Some spout tech-terms but they all seem to agree that a poor guy has to call someone, and that someone might not know.

A little background: As of early 2023, CGM was free for me (at CVS.)
But that was with the old insurance.

I'm off to try my cash-card at the supermarket, $50 a month, but I'd rather starve and get freebie CGM's. IDK.
They *have* a benefit plan for DME, an optional one, that replaces (so, it's instead of) the groceries, and it's 500 a year (I think.)
But CGM's are no longer DME.
They also have an $80-quarterly OTC benefit, but, buying a CGM (dexcom etc) would be fantastically expensive OTC, and $80 is like giving a kid a quarter to buy candy.
My only OTC drug is Imodium, so yeah, that's good, I guess.
Keep in mind I haven't tried anything yet, whether the little machine will go "whut?" and reject it (Imodium or the food)
It took the card! Now I have to listen to your incredible bullshit,
"Time per pound"



The first quote (20-25 min Lb) sounds right, but the next one is Republican (has to be) 3-hours per pound??!!
I swallowed the whole chicken-broth-precept, I added vinegar like you said, 
but I'm drawing the line at 15 (FIFTEEN!!) hours of cooking.
I'll try ELEVEN, somewhere between wimpy and fucking crazy.
I'm trying to edit this on the phone, starting with this sentence and a picture, if I figure out how.
nowhere near 3 hours; "145" is done?

But actually, real-life, the cooker has been going for 5 hours, (on "Low," which is an important fact no one (including me) mentioned.)
And the temp is 155, and it's nowhere NEAR done, it would be tough and chewy.
Current meat prices are astronomical, somewhere around $10 a pound, and THESE are for the lower-priced-hoi-polloi peasant cuts of beef.
Mine was on sale so it was slightly less (something times 5 equals 32)
$6-something?
Anyway, pinning down a time and a setting has been difficult, no one knows or cares.
At least we're up from 145

I'm no novice but that could just mean I've been cooking it wrong for years, and plus, the slo-cooker is still new.
But it's not done. I think I need to achieve "mushiness,"
or at least fall-apartiness.
 
Things I forgot to buy today: Potatoes, Yogurt.
*^%$#@!!!!!

So I went back. 
My new card does NOT cover sugar!!! It won't say this til later (on the paid receipt) if you're good at math (to deduce the items it rejects)


I prolly should mention the implications of only bringing that card and nothing else to the store. 
I'd never do that (would I?)




Today's headlines (or maybe it was a train of thought) talked about Kroger merging with Albertsons and Safeway.
If you thought high prices were coming down, what will happen when one store owns all the food?
People are so negative about the whole thing that the two conglomerates pushed back the wedding to maybe August, from right this second.
I don't blame them. They'll have to raise prices to cover the merger, and since they own everything, their bad habit will become a mania.
I'm redacting my tone-deaf blurted out remarks, this is a touchy issue.....
OTOH if you don't mind driving a way away from this tiny town with their abandoned bank, this doesn't really affect you. 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!
No one in this town will be able to afford anything, people will move to cheaper places, the town will die, we'll all be forced to mail-order from Walmart or Amazon. 
This train of thought (if it really was one) was brought to you by a half-heard remark about the supermarket next to the abandoned strip-mall being sold, maybe, at some time in the future.



The politically correct website du jour, a separate hackable site from the insurance site (double the pleasure, double the fun) And I'm supposed to be Alzheimer's, so who exactly remembers all this stuff?
My doting son,
My thieving caregiver? (Larsenius/ Larsenia) (Let's call her "cathy")
Get cans of tuna delivered to my door, but what about taxes, fees, tips?
(I will edit this)
I can't find one word on their site about delivery charges.
Handling charges. 
Minimum purchases.
I'd have to order a thing to find out.
My stomach is real happy with 
the potato and yogurt-cheese-pinto-bean casserole I ate while looking. 
But it's an illusion, a lie.

No comments: