-->

Sunday, January 21, 2024

RIP 3.1 gen 2

 USB4 has been upgraded to USB4 2.0, meaning essentially that the speed went from 40Gb/s to 80Gb/s, but 

The 2.0 does not appear to exist yet.
IDK (if you've got a bug up your butt about being USB current-trendy, abandon all hope)
and the motherboards (my god, the AMD motherboards!) would have to struggle keeping up. It's a marketing point for the latest Intel.
But I found a 4.0 gen 1

Actually, strike that, "Thunderbolt" and USB 4 are running neck-and-neck in a race.
In theory MSI has a USB 4 card, but it was a demo, I think.



If the text here looks serious, it isn't, I just write badly.
USB C blah Gen yada
Inscrutable names for an ever changing product.
Plus I'm missing the link for usb 4 80gb/s, this will get changed.

uh, hmm https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/does-anyone-actually-make-a-usb4-pcie-host-adapter/


(Link)

I'm on a metered connection which is running on fumes even with updates paused.
But (to my mind) the latest betas are useless anyway.

And if you had this tech, and a hacker coming through your ceiling to steal your NOC-list, wouldn't this make it easier?
You (referring to the movie) wouldn't have to burn a CD, you'd just jam your stick into a slot and soak up terabytes of data in less than a minute, unless the company making the stuff makes a key for the port.
I *think* I have something like that (the key) but I never fooled with it much, It's the kind of thing you don't touch for fear of locking out your system to yourself.
My drive does 2Gb, less than 40, much less than 80
I don't think they make a device yet that I could afford, coming close to a decent speed.


note:
Track A, front of train, next to clock, is a doorway that eventually leads outside.
(how I get to "track A front" is unclear)
The weasel-girl is the clue (you're almost there)



No comments: