-->

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Fronkentsteen 2, the saga continues

 It arrived, the computer showing his little cartoon van must have been teasing me, 
and no, I wouldn't have had to sign for it, he was silent but I was there with my outstretched hand. 
The battery is totally dead. (o...k) and they include a nice thick USB-C-to-C cable,
and an adapter for a usb-a cable (if you actually have a usb-a cable laying around)
and I'm typing this hoping the battery charges up enough to continue part-one.
It's basic "white" with no charger.
There's a "G" logo on the back, light-gray.
"Quick switch adapter"(For data transfer)"
Has me interested, does that mean I can plug phone to phone and bypass any bullshit?
It's smooth, as a highly waxed glass floor, meaning of course it's very slippery.
And, it's smaller than my other phone, but the other phone is in a case, so I guess they're close. Samsung wins in Bigness, the entire new phone rests comfortably on the old one's screen.
The screen is waiting for me to do something ("get started") and it's bouncing a gear and buzzing when the gear hits a bubble...I gotta go, my wifi is throwing a snitty fit.

F*ck wifi, I'm going ethernet, but I don't know if the phones will get all offended, take umbrage.  ("Yew want whaaat???") They're both on android 14, so hopefully they're enlightened and democratic.
 The, it's mixed.
The cable they included wouldn't work for anything at all ever, then suddenly one of the phones saw the light and converted, and downloading stuff went easy.
The "apps" (the bloatware) is still there, contrary to popular opinion (propaganda,) but it seems less, but you cannot UNinstall stuff they *want* you to have (read this sentence through gritted teeth)
I'm glad I got the 256GB version, slightly pissed that I had to, there being no memory-slot.
MAYBE the upshot will be that the whole 256GB will be fast and available to games, a guy can hope.
Nothing left to do but wipe the other phone to the stone age
("Good morning, Dr. Chandra")


signal strendth -104dBm 36asu
Meaning, (I think) the phone has a crappy signal. Maybe it gets better?
Bitchy people have written about lousy signal. If it works, I won't really care.
Why are ALL notepad apps telling me they want my data?
After a glowing blurb for onenote, it wants me to sign in!! Crap.
Maybe there is no privacy anymore.
I found one I liked, it might be the same one as my old phone, but THIS phone remembers whatever you were doing, the files you were editing, and they stay there for anyone to swipe and read, unless of course you use the secret "Clear all" which is supposed to close apps and the text files.
Plus I'm not sure personally classified docs (like passwords and special phone numbers in files) aren't synced to everyone everywhere.
So you're writing a love-letter to cathy, and your supervisor orders you off somewhere, and karen can swipe a couple times and read what you wrote, etc.
Your faux pas was leaving the phone unattended (at your desk, due to your unnatural fear of urinals and toilet bowls)
So ignore the supervisor and save the file or just lock the damn phone (I guess)
 It keeps updating itself:
  • Android 14
  • Security Update
  • Feature Update ("security Update"?)
    "Your Pixel is getting even Better..." One can hope
get in edge to do a thing
(download, sign in (get verified gmail/edge)
Now, wtf was it I wanted in the first place?
O crap.
I'm all like, "I wanted something, it seemed important..."
oooooo...yeah, my password to a company.
Ok, nvm
Reminder: I know all about ringy-dingy notifications, but text messages elude me just now.
Son of reminder: turn off (silence) ringy-dingies.

Next Morning:
two things happened:
I went to t-mobile last-night and entered the IMEI and it said the phone was not compatible.
But it seemed to already know I had a different phone, although it got the color wrong. 
TODAY early I used speedtest on my wifi. Remember the other phone doing "333" at 5GHZ?
or slightly faster.
This phone does "570" or in other words, as fast as wired-ethernet,
and that's without fancy AX and OFDMA.
Now, I gotta hope my phone-call signal gets better, plus I gotta wonder what the phone company saying the IMEI being incompatible meant.

The plot thickens: Apparently there are TWO (at least) 5G network types, 
one is called "sub-6" because it's receiving on less than 6GHZ.


The other is GQML3, mmwave, 24GHZ (I'm a fucking parrot)
Which is for Verizon (apparently.)
I have not seen (today) any discussions on which is better for headaches and cancer? (Yes! No! Maybe!)
Nerdy types eschew that scuttlebutt... I'm not real interested either, since my signal is so poor maybe they're being paranoid and avoiding litigation?
Anyway...My local tower might not like sub-six phones, IDK.
Apparently also, it's nice to own a phone using both frequencies, just in case.
Since I'm stuck on one, maybe someone'll notice and give me a shout-out or, chuckle evilly ("suffer" for not buying a T-Mobile phone)
My signal now looks good because I switched to "LTE" but it has an exclamation mark as well. (whut?)
Here's the problem, this is a complicated technology and yet people are evangelizing this-or-that (4g, 5g)
Some guys say.
Well hell, I (my stomach and me) think poor signal on that little meter is meaningless unless calls suffer.
Plus, I'm supposed to embrace WIFI-calling, although I'm gonna stuff my Wifi back in its closet so nevermind, although (wait, WHY do I want wifi calling, poor signal or poor minutes-plan??)
You cannot check more than one box under "preferred network type."
Plus my signal meter still has an exclamation, though it won't say why.
O. Nevermind.
Can I test something?
Usually phone photos are gargantuan to impress critics...
I just made one after setting my settings to "conservative" "thrifty" or whatever.
OK first test fail, it won't go to the subfolder the photo is in, Microsoft tries to horn in quickly ("Microsoft Link" or some such).
2nd try
total disaster...Once Microsoft tried to get in on it, the entire system locked down, and I cannot access my own photos with my own computer.
And they say people don't spy on you....
OK sorted that (I think) but, the pic is still king-kong-sized.
I'll work on this.

Photos have labels they didn't have on the samsung, such as "Portrait" or "Trashed."
The "Trashed" photo shouldn't have a label, it should be gone totally!
So (I'm thinking) "Trashed" marks the photo as disposable but doesn't delete it immediately.
Or it's one stage, "Move to trash" does not really move anything, it just renames the file, and "EMPTY trash" erases it (supposedly)
So why did windows see the trashed file?
Windows peeked under some carpet and royally pissed off the maid (file manager?)
Scared the phone so bad, or something, but when I restarted the PC things were smoothed over.
"storage saver" is very vague ("medium resolution") and (so far) does not let me cut down photos to a manageable 640x480

"Open Camera" (the store app) is way nicer, but harder to just click stuff.
Yes you know about kodak instamatics but here is an SLR reflex, go to it, mr. photographer-man.
1920x1080 was the smallest it allowed. I'd upload it (but why? It's a manual in french)
Bottom lines:
The phone is WAY too slippery. more slippery than soap, more like Ice.
The signal is bad but maybe that's OK.


No comments: