-->

Thursday, March 21, 2024

I keep telling myself,no one reads this anyway, but..(Browsers)

 I like "edge" as my primary browser, because I use windows.
I like Google-Chrome for googly stuff (mostly, "Gmail")
And I'd like to hold my head up in polite-society so I 
at least wanna be familiar with "Duckduckgo" although that usually ends in an abandoned attempt at good intentions (Importing bookmarks and passwords from Edge and Chrome)
In a perfect world, the browser being used has its own encrypted file, I don't want my dirty laundry all over the internet, but it is my understanding that Syncing does exactly that, store my sensitive stuff in some cloud.
Damn near everywhere I have an account.
I'm making a serious (more than ten seconds) effort to import stuff, and I've almost got "Favorites" but there is no bar, just a reaaaally looong list of bookmarks.
Maybe I'm too old for this shit...
And don't get me started on "passwords" (seriously, where do I start?)

wait, I get it, EXport CSV then IMport from CSV, I can do that (I think)
There's this odd thing that has happened twice...
A (photo or a song) program ON My PC wants to save a file (a photo, a song) directly to the phone, gets an error (a senseless one)
Or the process freezes, and then the connection totally locks up (think, "Cringing") and nothing after that (copying files manually, etc) works.
"Shutting down" appears to be waiting for something, unless I unplug my phone.
Now (o do, pleez) tell me, I need a new driver, I need to reinstall windows, I need to (%$#@) call some vendor....Anyway restarting my PC removes any hurt feelings and stuff copies normally (using file-explorer. Not the App)
My conclusion is, no app (not all apps?) can traverse whatever void-chasm exists from the PC to the phone, there is some arcane permission it is breaching, and it fails.
"Good," I say, if my eveil cousin is trying it...It's just , unnerving.
I can totally guess it's a safety feature; yeah,
a safety feature, sure, why not.
But this quote is from ages ago.
NOW you need a picture of a QR code (Yew WHAT??)
This only works if you have a windows/whatever version of DuckDuckGo
and you generate a code.
The creaking upstairs increased significantly the more sensitive my data got...I'm backing off for now. 
I don't trust anything anywhere with as much proselytizing duckduckgo has, it's a browser not Humana or a Shark Vacuum cleaner (or "lifelock") and they're incredibly thin on the exact details. Bookmarks sure, whatabout passwords?
"to" "duckduckgo" "from" "edge" "or" "chrome"?



Plus they don't (seem to) have a "back" button so a garbage-result I'm googling can be ignored and I can choose a better source...
Off with its head.


Minimum wage is twice my highest pay when I was working...I'm gonna guess asking anyone about this stuff will riddle me with scorn and derision.
THEY can press buttons @ $25.00 an hour, what have *I* done lately??
Fucket, nevermind.


No comments: