-->

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

wi-fi calling ?

 getting put on hold forever is something that has been going on forever, but I'm not here to type on one hand, one finger, about that.
No. I'm idly wondering what others can glean from a wifi call besides just listening through a wall or above stairs.
Can more-than-mildly nosy people tune me in from a radio?


I'm calling something I'd rather you didn't know, like account numbers and passwords.
But then "hold" hangs me up after maybe 20 minutes.
So whaddabout Wi-Fi?
Just wondering while I wait.
Assuming I don't cut myself off by touching something with my ear...
I'd like to wonder about ancient very public lines you could call (like "the time") and listen to voices in the background. 
Bleed-though from other lines on my network (they called them "trunks" back then.)
The voices were soft and nearly unintelligible, like at a party.
Oooh, the icon changed, can I guess my 5G expired
 ("your 20 minutes are up. Goodbye") 
And wifi took over??
I don't care unless (please re-read the above)
Above-stairs is riskier anyway. 



Thank god most calls are so boring no one would bother listening (Using "packet sniffers" or whatever they are called)



And those techs testing lines by plugging into random calls, are usually on the clock and don't have the time to listen in.
I think.
My black picture of a 1950's handset receiver (the talk-listen thing)
on a white background has been on for an hour. I guess once it switches to wifi it never goes back.
(And if My Wi-Fi burped or threw up, I guess I'd be SOL)
The truuuly nosy could spoof a cellular tower...suck down all the data, use AI to sift through it.
(Can you tell I'm still on hold?)
Those drug stores making you shout your birthdate and your phone number through a plexiglass window are worse.
The voice- computer is nearly deaf anyway, 5g or wifi.
They have no way of entering letters on a keypad so repeated voiced letter-numbers are futile.
Bla!xXx-xxx!! ("A valid number has X-xxx-xxx." )
"I got: Q-ock-xxx is this correct??"
"Ock" is not a letter nor a number, not here anyway.
wtf
If I had low blood pressure, these little chats would perk me right up.
Nice to know though that voice recognition

is still stone-age technology

anyone within earshot through insulated walls got my personal info better than this frugal setup.
I wouldn't mind so much except they're proud as punch and repeat it.





No comments: