-->

Thursday, August 22, 2024

DDR4 because, uh...

 The variables to set on DDR4 memory involve lots of math,
assuming what "some guy said" is valid, referencing DDR math, and is no parrot noise or insanity. 
(This sentence came out wrong; They type good and rattle off numbers, but are they crackers or friends of the insane?)
"12 6" is "extreme"? no shit.
Tfaw Too?
It doesn't complain...IDK

I still wanna know what TWR is.
 besides it being a variable in an equation.
But my outlook is bleak. (bleak)
"Some Guy" (a different guy) says:
Min of 8, huh?
(goes to combine tras and trcd)
uh, (ahem) "22-16=6" FOD!

Wait, I mis-thought. My TWR is way slower than "8", it's 12, twice Trtp (goes thumbing through google to verify arcane trivia)





What is "TWR" all by itself? (and don't say "Trtp*2")





TWR (tba)
TRTP=TWR/2
and etc.

Suppose, the factory, to save a buck, gave some egghead a few hours to tweak 
a ddr4-3200 DIMM so it would run at 3600 and the factory could sell it as "3600",
maximizing profit on old dimms no one bought anymore.
He'd *prolly* tweak voltages, relax some timings, be done in a couple hours and run tests maybe for a couple days.

Now, You buy the things and try to tweak the settings up to maximum specs
(X=y*2+8)
but (biggie surprise) it won't work.

That's where I'm at, tweaking already-tweaked memory.
and hoping (in this heat) I don't fry something.

I get all interested in Latency and IPS's, and then the lingo passes over my head and I forget about it for another year.
I don't exactly know why but in May, I kept running 3dmark over-and-over,
and today with little effort I beat my own score.




If you consider:
Windows has been updated (a lot)
3DMark has been updated.


First edit: Some of these entries are difficult to find, or was that just me?
I'll never know.
specifically, https://orphanrocks.blogspot.com/2023/05/biased-i-know-you-are-but-what-am-i.html#uniqueID




I do not like green eggs and ham (nvm)
I was done (I still am) but I got all interested in "Carbon Steel" vs cast-Iron.

I have to guess because the blurbs are overhyped, but (totally guessing,)
 Carbon steel is lighter than cast iron, but more "delicate" (They warp.)
Bloggers paid to sell products might be biased, but
https://www.thespruceeats.com/carbon-steel-vs-cast-iron-pans-what-s-the-difference-4796603
But I don't look forward to seasoning pans and fending off rust.


I'm still looking, and I get all excited about whatever pan I'm looking at, until someone else tells me they're lousy for whatever reason.
The "316" with the conservative-sounding brand name is thin and warps easily.
The others (not "316") are iffy. The blurb praises them to the skies (except for *this* blurb)
800, 500, who cares, right?

They wear a person down with specs.
I wonder why most of the specs are from men who prefer carbon steel or Cast iron.

Then there are the phalanx(?) of men preferring the $400-style somethings, made in Belgium, Germany or South Carolina. (I swear, Reddit is full of salespeople)
No one cooks, but on reddit everyone is a professional chef (or a factory selling cast iron pans.) 
The "Le Creuset" people are still shopping for pans; why?
If they haven't reached pan-nirvana, it must be an obsession or freebies(?)
Yeah, I get it already, food from Le Creuset is upper-crust and doesn't stink.

b'cause, I give up, this can't be THAT hard, I'm googling the wrong links.
It would have a big brown spot in the middle, it would maybe rock to and fro, 
I DON'T CARE anymore.


The very preachy reviews on Amazon convince me that someone somewhere is getting paid to push cast/carbon pans, but I seriously would not know for sure (it just seems so damn obvious!) 
Anyway "All-Clad," like the lady with the pink toes has, looks good to me.
GunK?? nono, "Seasoning." Now repeat after me, "Seasoning"

Someone said that I edited out why I'm talking pans.
It's simple, at first anyway: Non-stick pans have limited lifespans, some say a year, some say less.
Coincidentally (I hope), "Caraway" suddenly started spamming commercials on TV for pans.
A google search says "Greenpan" is extremely similar, cheaper, and possibly not as long-lasting.
I'm happy with not long-lasting, and I've yet to read any reviews on amazon (because when I do, I'll get depressed)

But, apparently,
Greenpan sticks a different name and a different handle on the pans,
charges WAY more.
"Rio"=cheap, "Valencia" or "Paris" are more upper-crusty.
I seriously do not know.
I think "Valencia" sounds nice 😀😕

This next pan is Stainless, multi-layer, and nonstick-coated, what else could someone want?
It has a kind of an underdog name, it comes in an unattractive color. 
It seems perfect. 

Rampant consumerism, First-World problem, pretensions (etc etc)
we (you, me, us) read the crap out of pan specs, settle on a choice 
(and a color and a size and a brand and a lifestyle and...and...

Yeah but does it cook?




No comments: